VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Jeepers creepers Steve,your a man on a mission!!! Great work,be interesting to see the van when it's finished,you'll be done by next week the rate your going A:A:A: T:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks all - yes I had the summer holidays off work so had a lot of spare time on my hands. Progress is slowing a little now I'm back at work! :(

A few updates to come shortly!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Blimey, how did you find those alloys on ebay for £300!
P.s. nice work T:
They weren't titled very well, just the name of the manufacturer and the tyre size. Also, was labelled as collection only which might have put some people off - so I got in touch and asked the seller if they would consider posting if I sorted the courier my end and they agreed! :ILU:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Rear bumper transformation:

Damage to old bumper -

Bumper off -

Rear impact bar is bent in one corner and one of the bumper mounting brackets required a bit of TLC -

Frustratingly, I didn't realise the impact bar would get in the way of the parking sensors I had cut into the new bumper. Clearly they are supposed to line up with the large circular holes and looking at images of factory vans with rear sensors, the outer sensors should be a lot nearer the ends of the bumper - past the impact bar!

So I had to get handy cutting some big holes I:

New bumper on -

AND SPOILER! T:

I did the spoiler at the same time as the bumper, using a little Tiger Seal and a bit of masking tape to hold in place - for once a nice easy job T:

Alloys on - next up going a touch lower! A:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another angle of the front with the sportline lower bumper now fitted.

The fitment of this isn't great on the sides near the arches - don't know if other people have found this? It's a non genuine one. I don't really want to start shaving bits off, but it doesn't follow the contours of the bumper very well.

Another nice easy job was to give the callipers a touch of paint so they didn't look so rough through the new alloys! :ILU:

Was tempted to go for a bright boy-racer colour, but ended up choosing something a bit more subtle T:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Whilst I mess around with the suspension on my van - nightmare job! I decided to do some easier touch up jobs to make myself feel better about my skills (or lack of…). This is a simple rattle can spray job of the door handles. :ILU:

Look like a familiar sight?! Horrible old handles. I reckon the previous owner had acidic hands and nails like a dragon....LOL:

I started by giving them a good sanding, finishing with some P1500 wet and dry to bring back the once smooth finish.

I then used some plastic primer to give a base coat -

I then managed to skip a couple of photos somehow! Silver and three coats of lacquer later….

And the finished product! £24 in paint T:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So..... I've been working on the suspension recently over the past couple of weekends. What a :eek::eek::eek: of a job!!

Just completed the front - hoping the rear will be much easier T:

Started by removing the wiper arms - needed a special tool as mine were rusted solid to the spindles. Then removed the plastic scuttle and loosened suspension top nuts.

Then loosened off the 30mm drive axle nut through the wheel hub. Jacked up the van and removed the wheel.

Next up I removed the ball joint mounting bracket using a multipoint bit.

I then turned the steering hard lock and removed the hub nut and drive shaft. I then loosened the strut to hub clamp bolts using a 18mm socket.

I then had a disagreement with the antiroll-bar link which resulted in me having to cut them both with a hacksaw and replace with new.

Next up I removed the brake calliper and separated the steering tie rod ball joint from the hub assembly - this resulted in splitting both plastic boots.

Luckily I had a couple of the right boots in my garage from my Beetle T:

I then used a chisel to open up the hub clamp and hammered it down off the strut.

I then loosened off the rest of the nut securing the strut through the top of the engine bay and the strut was out!

Strut reassembled with hub hammered on - this takes a heck of a lot of hammering - even in this pic you can see it isn't completely home in the hub. I tried two methods....

....Attaching strut to van through engine bay, then jacking the hub up into the strut

.....and simply beating the absolute turd out of the strut and hub with a hammer whilst off the van - both required a lot of hitting and weren't easy. Then reverse reassemble all the other parts. :ILU:

Finished product - I'm considering fitting the rear suspension, but leaving it wound all the way up then getting some chunkier tyres on the rear A:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Those wheels look so good, they look larger than 20". I'm rather liking the stance :cool:
Yeh I spent quite a bit of time looking at alloys and was super lucky to net the ones I was after on ebay! Talk about right place at the right time. So much of a vehicles final look is down to the wheels and stance.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts