VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An open letter to the driver of the stunning Grey T4 with banded chromed steels on the M5 south this evening...

Dear sir

I really like your van and was admiring it on the M5 south this evening. Even though it was dark it was clear you really look after your van, the paintwork was immaculate and the chromed banded steels looked great, I may even get go down the banded route on my own van having seen yours. It would therefore have been a huge shame to have a Golf shaped dent in the side!!

Had I not been admiring your van I'm certain I would not have seen your front wheel drift across the dividing white line closely followed by the rest of your van, clearly without looking and without indicating. It was however your lucky day that I am both observant and trained in defensive driving that I was able to take avoiding action.

Please look after your van better in future T:T:

Yours

A caring T5 owner

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That explains something for me. I'd noticed how, on busy multi-lane roads, occasionally vehicles seem to move into your blind spot and then fail to complete the manoeuvre and move out of it.

They're eyeballing the van!! T:

Highly complimentary, I guess, but it's usually when I want them to pass by so I can pull out to overtake a slower vehicle.

Anyway, to protect my own position I've fitted those little domed mirrors that can be adjusted by rotating them. It's done away with the blind spot. Not very trendy but definitely "defensive driving".

Still do a "lifesaver" though. A carry over from riding my Moto Guzzi.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW. It wasn't me. I'm in team green.
Ha ha! I'm team white but each to their own :D

No I know what you mean about people sitting in your blind spot, I try not to and certainly didn't tonight as had a shift on to get home but always nice to see a good looking van

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The T4 has a big blind spot, (or is it me?), so I bought a couple of those little convex mirrors wot stick on.

Great job.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I once lost a whole super sized mercedes in the blind spot while towing the caravan with extra mirrors too. He was overtaking in middle lane but slowed down when he saw a camera van on the bridge ahead. I was already indicating to pull out and was watching a Jag much further back who slipped out to give space.

I should have done the life saver as in my mind the Merc was passed me and gone...but he was right beside me. Lucky no damage done as corrected, but my fault for not checking further.

I ride bikes too and now always fit in a bike style life saver just to be certain. T:

I could have damaged my T4 for christ sake :eek:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It's about 20-30feet behind the vehicle, T4 anyway, as a vehicle overtakes ypu.

To establish where it is observe a vehicle as it overtakes you on a motorway or dual carriageway and note that it briefly disappears before re-emerging into view.

A couple of times I almost hit cars as I merged onto a main road/carriageway.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
I've always looked over my shoulder before pulling out (presume this is the lifesaver). Is this wrong? Difficult in a panel van though, I was leaning forward to look back in works vans.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Where is this blnd spot you talk of as I have never noticed :confused:
It's about 20-30feet behind the vehicle, T4 anyway, as a vehicle overtakes you.

To establish where it is observe a vehicle as it overtakes you on a motorway or dual carriageway and note that it briefly disappears before re-emerging into view.

A couple of times I almost hit cars as I merged onto a main road/carriageway.

"...as a vehicle overtakes you"

That is why we have never spotted it Dantro ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ha!
i like those little mirrors think i might get me sen one of those ..mine has a HUGE blind spot made even worse by the fact that my mirrors are both the same size?? dunno why?

·
Registered
199 Posts
The double facetted glass fitted to offside mirror of some models gives a much wider view and is much better than the standard glass. If having to replace offside mirror glass in any case then opt for the double faceted type. More expensive (of course) but a much better rear view.
Alleygater

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ha!
i like those little mirrors think i might get me sen one of those ..mine has a HUGE blind spot made even worse by the fact that my mirrors are both the same size?? dunno why?
Look on eBay for "rotatable" blind spot mirrors. The mirror is set at an angle in the housing and can be rotated 360 degs so the field of view can be corrected once you've stuck the mirror in place.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've always looked over my shoulder before pulling out (presume this is the lifesaver). Is this wrong? Difficult in a panel van though, I was leaning forward to look back in works vans.
The lifesaver is never wrong mate, it's a sign that you recognise there is a blind spot to the side of your vehicle and you're checking it before moving. as a motorbike rider I always put lifesavers in when turning as I'm checking for cars on the motorway or cyclists in town

The little mirrors are great but as described above its good practice to watch cars as they pass as very occasionally whilst the blind spot is greatly reduced there can still be a spot where cars (or especially motorbikes) disappear!

·
Registered
360 Posts
i use these

you would be amazed how much you can see with them

:ILU:
These are great. I've got one on each mirror, haven't got any blind spots at all.
With the blind spot mirrors and the gearstick extention, I can sit right back in the seat, plant my head on the head rest and comfortably drive through traffic / change lanes on motorways without moving my head or body makes for a very relaxing drive.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
'59 plate T5's must have a terrible blind spot on the offside. At least that's what I'm guessing after the same van cut across the front of me twice on the A38 near Lichfield yesterday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts