VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

Is there an easy way to check the clutch on a 2.5tdi 102bhp (ex AA) T4? The biting point on mine seems to be rather high in the pedal travel, and occasionally when starting off, there is a bit of a judder. Nothing much, just enough to notice. There doesn't seem to be any clutch slip at all.

I'm hoping there is some kind of sighting hole where the clutch wear can be assessed without having to do major surgery on the van. Anyone know of such a thing?

I want to make sure the clutch is okay, as I am planning to do some engine mods over the winter (project power, EGR valve, decat etc).

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm hoping there is some kind of sighting hole where the clutch wear can be assessed without having to do major surgery on the van. Anyone know of such a thing?
Damn sensible idea that - but alas the designers never think of us when designing a vehicle.

Gearbox out i'm afraid if you want to look at your clutch

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If VW are reading, and want to employ my design services, just send a PM on here ;)

In that case, it makes no sense checking really, as afte all the effort and expense you would go to checking the clutch, you might as well fit anew one, whilst you are in there. methinks I'll just continue until I start to get problems such as slippage etc.

That said, I have no idea what the signs of clutch failure are? I guess slipping? Horrible noises when slipping the clutch? How do people normally determine whether a clutch change is needed?

Andy

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi Andy,

Have you bled the clutch system recently?

I know you had a weeping master cylinder! Well if fluid can come out then air can get in, (infact the air leaking in is much easier than the fluid leaking out)

Bleed it and see it the bite point improves. then check again after it has been driven for a while.

Also make sure you do not have a crack in the pipe from the master cylinder going towards the slave cylinder. even a pin hole is enough.

you do know that there is adustment to the height of the pedal (in it's relaxed state)
the bolts that mount the master cylinder to the pedalbox are in slotted holes.

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers Trev.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts