VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally gets the van taxed tested and insured so decides a little maiden voyage is called for.
All went well so on the way back decides to fill with petrol ready for a decent run out on Monday already have half a tank according to the gauge so im reckoning £50 ish should fill it.Any hows £98 quid later ive flooded morrisons petrol station as it would seem i have a bloody great hole in the tank.:(:(

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really its the first time i have put fuel in it as its been in the garaged being built up and i always suspected the fuel gauge was faulty hence wanting to fill it.:*

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Well it's unlikely you'll do it again! Must take the positives!:cool: I done something similar once. Was trying completely brim it on a slight trickle whilst looking at the ££, didn't notice it was overflowing down side of vanI::D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I had the same on a little Fiat 128, years ago. Brimmed it, cos we were on our way to Devon the next morning, got home from petrol station to find it half full. Like you, I had a hole in my tank. Sod it, I thought and set off for Devon. I: Hottest day for years and couldn't have the windows open cos the smell of petrol was so bad......and the heater was stuck on hot. Oh, we did laugh. LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After little more investingating it only leaks now when i go round a left hand corner.So im planning my routes carefully untill ive used some fuelI:

·
Registered
432 Posts
i did something similar when i had my land rover 110.. it was lifted right up so the fuel cap was about elbow hight.. was stood there with the nozle in talking to the misses through the window, so naturally had my arm at a stretch... looked back and the nozle wasn't quite in and was half going in and half spraying all over the truck and pumps.. gutted... the place was a mess.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we were driving down to exmouth ( its a 3 hour trip in the splitty, 2 1/2 hr in th car ) a few years back, staying on a campsite and then moving to another in poole in a few days, we were camping in the splitty

so i filled the ful tank right to the brim, i though ti would get the trip done to exmouth then poole on the tank, save stopping

so i fill it to the brim

for the next 3 days all you could smell was the stench of petrol, after we got to poole the smell went, i guess either the rubber filler tube has perished or it might have a hole in the tank

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its in the garage first thing to have whats left of the fuel drained out to remove it and investigate.
I have managed to track a tank down though so not all bad.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to drain what was left I the tank out and remove it this is what I found.:eek:

No wonder wife could smell petrol.
Previous owner fitted some Mitsubishi delica seats by just welding them in.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:eek: That was melted by someone welding in some seats?
Wowsers, either someone hadn't woken up properly or they engaged their trigger finger before they engaged their brain!

Lucky you spotted it before something tragic happened :( would have only taken a cigarette to fly up under there from a car in front and it could have been game over :(

Never seen that before.. Surely the strong smell of petrol was a give away? :*

Glad your safe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
After little more investingating it only leaks now when i go round a left hand corner.So im planning my routes carefully untill ive used some fuelI:
I wouldn't use the van until you get it repaired, if your spilled diesel casues an RTI (diesel spills are a common cause of incidents with bikes) the consequences aren't worth thinking about.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I wouldn't use the van until you get it repaired, if your spilled diesel casues an RTI (diesel spills are a common cause of incidents with bikes) the consequences aren't worth thinking about.
Apologies, just read the next page on the threads. Doh...:confused:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Wow, that guy was lucky to live!

And to cheer you up - I once spent 3 days replacing the tank on my A6 quattro (tank is above the rear diff), filled it up with £100 of fuel, went to the pub, came outside to find a river of diesel running down the carpark.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts