VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a Transporter 2.5 PD TDi and due to odd noise coming from engine I went to see my mechanic yesterday.
He told me that the noise is probably coming from camshaft. 140K on the clock so I assume that he is right.

How common is this camshaft change at this mileage?

I was reading and many supplier sell "chilled cast" or "billet steel" camshaft. I can often read here GT Automotive brand.
Are they any good or I should buy OE Volkswagen?
Im looking for a suitable replacement. I have AXE engine code.
Does anyone know what exactly the difference between chilled cast and billet steel camshafts?
Are chilled cast camshafts just as good as steel ones?

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a Transporter 2.5 PD TDi and due to odd noise coming from engine I went to see my mechanic yesterday.
He told me that the noise is probably coming from camshaft. 140K on the clock so I assume that he is right.

How common is this camshaft change at this mileage?

I was reading and many supplier sell "chilled cast" or "billet steel" camshaft. I can often read here GT Automotive brand.
Are they any good or I should buy OE Volkswagen?
Im looking for a suitable replacement. I have AXE engine code.
Does anyone know what exactly the difference between chilled cast and billet steel camshafts?
Are chilled cast camshafts just as good as steel ones?
For reference my AXD had its oil changed every 10k using the correct stuff and my cam/followers still failed at 122k.
If you speak to Simon at LEC and say you are from the T5 forum he will look after you but this is the kit you want and it now comes with the required bolts also:-
http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/vw...uareg-2-5-tdi-pd-camshaft-kit-axe-axd-bac-blj

Billet parts are usually machined from a metal blank or forged blank of material so the grain structure of the metal is usually much stronger, cast metals are usually weaker due to the irregularities in the grain structure.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Cast is what it says - the metal is cast in a mould, and is a cheaper. Billet is where a big lump of solid metal is taken and machined - this is a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I'll contact Lymm today.
Has anyone reported problems with the chilled cast 2.5 TDI PD camshafts kit? Or they are just as good as others?
I see that this Transporter 070109101P camshaft fits many other engines AXE, AXD, BAC, BLJ
Does anyone know how much a new VW OE camshaft cost?

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Thanks guys.
I'll contact Lymm today.
Has anyone reported problems with the chilled cast 2.5 TDI PD camshafts kit? Or they are just as good as others?
I see that this Transporter 070109101P camshaft fits many other engines AXE, AXD, BAC, BLJ
Does anyone know how much a new VW OE camshaft cost?
The kit from LEC comes with an Estas/GT Automotive billet cam so no issues there, just the OE cam from VW is around the same price as the full kit from LEC.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
OEM are chillcast iron, it means a soft grade of metal thats cheap to make is machined then heated and chilled rapidly, its a process that hardens the surface layer of the metal.

Eventually, especially with bad oil servicing, the hardened layer wears through and the cam rapidly wears out, its a very common weakpoint on VW PD engines.

Forged steel billet cams are much better, and harder metal, and by far the wisest solution if youre going yo the expense of replacing a cam.

In fact youd be mad to refit a chillcast iron cam unless you really have no other option financially.

The followers on PD engines are also known to wear too fast, and there are improved items that should be used too.

There are top end refurb kits with forged steel cams, improved followers, bearing shims and seals etc.

Also, if the head is coming off its very wise to have valve stem seals done, and new timing belts etc if those exist etc.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the steel one. During searching I've found a nice comparison. There is certainly not as much info as here but the pictures show the difference.
https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/transporter-t5-touareg-2.5tdi-pd-camshaft-kit
A guy on here recently did a cam replacement and used the one from zedperformance and after a while it failed, this may have been a cam fault or it could even had been a top end lubrication issue causing the premature wear.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1225362

Lots of us have used the Estas/GT Autotive 2.5 cam kit from LEC (I did mine about 3 years ago and after mine Simon made up the kit for others). Estas also supplied this 2.5 cam to the likes of Darkside and AW Engineering so you know it's good, if I was you I would just buy from LEC as you know it will be right and if it was like my kit bits 3 years ago will come with INA lifters as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Martin,

Im a little bit confused here. Are you trying to say that the GT automotive camshaft that zedperformance sell are not the same as LEC's GT Automotive cam? Their pictures are pretty convincing.

No offense but I start to feel that you try to generate sales for LEC. :)
I just opened the thread because I had no clue of the difference between chilled cast and steel cams. I didn't say Im going to order from either of them or if Im looking for supplier. I may let my mechanic choose it. I haven't decided yet. We may buy cam only and other stuff elsewhere.

I read the topic you linked. The guy mentions that he ordered some German aftermarket but no brand was mentioned. GT Automotive is British.
Now I checked zedperformance's description and they say that they are out of stock of German cams.
It looks like they have GT Automotive only. The guy didn't say that they had issues with the lifters.

It could have been a bad batch (regardless which supplier we choose) or other lubricating issues as you mentioned. From his topic it is not clear what could have happened. Probably he doesn't even know.

Im not sure what difference would it make if all supplier sell the same brand.
If all sell similar camshaft kits I would obviously go with the cheaper but yet again.. Im not sure we buy a whole kit.

Thanks for all advice now I think we'll buy the steel one. T:

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Martin,

Im a little bit confused here. Are you trying to say that the GT automotive camshaft that zedperformance sell are not the same as LEC's GT Automotive cam? Their pictures are pretty convincing.

No offense but I start to feel that you try to generate sales for LEC. :)
I just opened the thread because I had no clue of the difference between chilled cast and steel cams. I didn't say Im going to order from either of them or if Im looking for supplier. I may let my mechanic choose it. I haven't decided yet. We may buy cam only and other stuff elsewhere.

I read the topic you linked. The guy mentions that he ordered some German aftermarket but no brand was mentioned. GT Automotive is British.
Now I checked zedperformance's description and they say that they are out of stock of German cams.
It looks like they have GT Automotive only. The guy didn't say that they had issues with the lifters.

It could have been a bad batch (regardless which supplier we choose) or other lubricating issues as you mentioned. From his topic it is not clear what could have happened. Probably he doesn't even know.

Im not sure what difference would it make if all supplier sell the same brand.
If all sell similar camshaft kits I would obviously go with the cheaper but yet again.. Im not sure we buy a whole kit.

Thanks for all advice now I think we'll buy the steel one. T:
I know see it's a Estas cam so it should be the same, I think they have changed there listing as in the past they only listed the German part hence I made the mistake.

I have nothing to do with LEC, just want people to get a good deal on parts and Simon usually looks after us, about 3 years ago Estas gave me the list of people supplying there cams and LEC usually do a fare price hense the reason I recommend them.

On a more important note does your mechanic have the proper locking tool to do the cam on a R5 2.5 engine?.

Also you will need new diamond washer, bolts for cam drive wheel, idle wheel, preload wheel etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey you all. :) As per form the other thread I started I'm in a dire need of new camkit? https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789291 I've been reading a lot about replacing it and what to get. This is informative thread and I thank you guys for that. T:

I had to do some of my own research on the topic regarding which/where camshaft to get for my T5 2.5 tdi axe engine. First thing I did, I went to autodoc website and there were so many choises(INA, AE, FAI auto parts, Febi bilstein, ET engineteam, AMC, BTS turbo, KS Kolbenschmidt), too many to know which are good and wich are not. The price does not always correlate quality even though it mostly does.

So I found this current thread and this one: https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5076218, where Martin33100 is saying that Estas(Turkey based machinery) and GT automotive are the ones to get and you can find them on Darkside developments and L.E.C Lymm engine components. Then there is this supposedly GT automotive kit from ZEDperformance. Apparently one of the forum member here did not have very good fortune with that one. The website now even states that the German made parts are out of stock permanently and from the buy drop down meny you can choose only "chilled" kit, which I assume means chilled cast version even though the product page says ther chould be billed steel and chilled cast GT automotive camshafts to choose from. :confused: At leas they could edit the product page to be more up to date.

Since I'm curious person I shifted my eye on ET engineteam, which turned out to be Czech based company. HV0339ET Camshaft Kit which has pretty much all the components you need for camshaft replacement. Does anyone know are they any good? :* I sent then a e-mail asking are their cams billed steel as the product page says steel only. I have not got answer yet.

I also found 070109101P camkit from Tornau Motoren and CS-19020.3 kit from Autokraft motorenteile. I asked both of them where and what quality the camkits are but so far only Tornau motoren has answered that the camshafts are supplied by GTI from England. Tried to found it but couldn't. Maybe some of you may know if this GTI machinery is reputable shop? :confused:

So to sum up my personal feeling on top tier list:
- Estas/GT automotive
- I.N.A (as far as their quality for the camshaft is the same as for their hydraulic lifters that are known of OE quality)
- ET engineteam

I know, a lot to read but please give me your opinion on the matter. T:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
chill cast iron = case hardend soft metal, oem spec and often gone on most of the 2.5's long before 200k. Rubbish and not worth putting back in again, this is one time you DONT want to go like for like OEM.

you want a forged steel cam and kit as probably advised already, new uprated followers and so on too. Should solve the problem forever more.

If I had managed to DIY rather than having it done I would have probably used the full kit BNZ equivalent of this (GT Automotive) : https://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/v...uareg-2-5-tdi-pd-billet-forged-steel-camshaft

·
Registered
38 Posts
Asked one guy another forum and he had good experience with this 070109101P camkit from Tornau Motoren.

He said that did drive 80000km before sold the van without problems. AXE engine also.

Since I'm curious person I shifted my eye on ET engineteam, which turned out to be Czech based company. HV0339ET Camshaft Kit which has pretty much all the components you need for camshaft replacement. Does anyone know are they any good? I sent then a e-mail asking are their cams billed steel as the product page says steel only. I have not got answer yet.
I got answer from engine team saying that their camshafts are made from steel billets. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts