VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads and lassies. Appoligises if this is in the wrong section, new to this forum! Putting a Chinese night heater in my t5 just arrived today. Was wanting to mount underneath where it’s supposed to be. But are these Chinese heaters really going to stand up to the harsh winters and rain water plus salt? Has anyone else mounted them underneath and had any bothers or even better no bother? I will mount inside if need be if it’s going to be less hassle in the long run! Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi JD.
I too have my heart set on installing one of these underneath my T4 Caravelle.
I've heard conflicting things about them needing to be open and not boxed, which makes me wonder about waterproofing. I've also read that the air intake needs to be fed from the inside of the van.
Which means another hole cut.
Out of interest, which one did you opt for?
Are you happy with the kit?
Sorry for the hi-jack!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently fitted one inside my swb t5, decided to fit inside to keep it out of the weather,
I fitted it between the back of drivers seat and wheel arch as tight to the side of the van as poss, i managed to fit a battery and heater in that space and boxed with some thin shiplap pine i had spare, decided to get a small 1l fuel tank as the 10l one supplied was too big to fit in there, as i have sliding seats it all had to fit withing a certain size to allow seats to slide, and just managed it lol,
Bit of a tip though! I originally had the pump and fuel pipes in the same space but the little pump naturally causes little bubbles which build up in the fuel line so had to re-route the lines down through the floor, pump fitted under van so could be angled slightly back up to bottom of heater so no air could build up 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one cheers for the info boys! Are you happy with yours mounted inside does it make much noise? I may go down this route to keep the weather off the heater. Seems a lot simpler but would be a lot neater underneath. Pros and cons for each! I went for the maxpeedingrods one I think it is, off of Amazon, just had a quick squint at the kit but looks like pretty good value for money,
Time shall tell, seemed like lots of good reviews however!

·
Registered
27 Posts
They do have good feedback.
You can get their stuff cheaper off e£@¥
I've been hovering over the buy it now button for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Hopefully give you an idea of the space needed if you decide to fit inside 👍
The heater is positioned where it is as the bottom ( air intake , exhaust & fuel pipe ) line up with a recess under the van to avoid any of the chassis, the exhaust points towards the rear and comes out the side just before rear tyre and fresh air intake goes towards the front of van to keep them apart ,

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I fitted mine underneath, I think they are too noisy for inside and there is always the potential for exhaust fumes to leak inside the van if the connections are not on tight enough. It’s been in over 12 months no issues so far apart from the exhaust touching and melting the plastic undertrim, which I have sorted by wrapping extra insulation around the exhaust and lining the trim with some aluminium sheeting. My vans a shuttle, I’ve kept the original interior trim which and so I copied what is done in the California’s except for the home made brackets and doorstep vent. The pic showing the trim covering the B pillar only shows one vent, I did fit two. I guess the way I did mine only works if you have interior trim on the B pillar!

CAA7DB29-3013-48A9-964A-CABC1C4F4001.jpeg
EC9C15BB-3264-46EB-9263-67F03FEE4829.jpeg
0A161B7B-BCD0-469B-A7B0-7FC551D949EB.jpeg
1B386D02-81AB-4792-A73E-686581D3F64A.jpeg
7A264294-6428-4B71-AAA2-2D8238BB31FE.jpeg
22ACE903-8AFB-4EE4-B482-D77FD78A3297.jpeg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hiya Gents
I fitted mine under the drivers seat as I too was unsure how they would stand up if mounted underneath. They are a little loud but I doubt I will actually leave it on whilst asleep anyway. They are really good and heat the van in the matter of minutes, I purchased a 5 ltr tank and easily lasts a weekend away.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Quick question regarding the vents/exhaust passing through the floor, how are they sealed against the elements where they pass through the body work?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I fitted mine under the van on the right side, have a factory installed Webasto on the left side. I was to conserned with fumes leaking if installed inside. I build a box for the heater and sprayed all electrical parts with electric seal spray. Since it is in a box and protected by the plastic shields I see no way of water getting in, still a damp environment so I guess time have to tell.

The box i actually two old IKEA shelfs.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've built an Eberspacer night heater into my camper on the inside under the bed in its own separate compartment recycling the air inside. I've no worries over it being inside as for the last 20 years of international truck driving they were all fitted inside the cab and I've never had any problems. I do have a Co2 alarm though, can never be too safe. I've tapped fuel from the main fuel tank just after the fuel filter up front and mounted the pump inside the engine bay. I originally had the pump mounted on the chassis just under where the heater was fitted but found when I was laid in my bed I could hear a "thumping" noise from the pump which was a little annoying. Moving it up front cured that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've built an Eberspacer night heater into my camper on the inside under the bed in its own separate compartment recycling the air inside. I've no worries over it being inside as for the last 20 years of international truck driving they were all fitted inside the cab and I've never had any problems. I do have a Co2 alarm though, can never be too safe. I've tapped fuel from the main fuel tank just after the fuel filter up front and mounted the pump inside the engine bay. I originally had the pump mounted on the chassis just under where the heater was fitted but found when I was laid in my bed I could hear a "thumping" noise from the pump which was a little annoying. Moving it up front cured that.
If I had an original Eberspacer I might not worry that much either, but after taking that cheap copy apart I like it to be outside :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Quick question to one and all. What do you use to protect any bare metal/cut edges of holes in the bodywork when you fit the heater/ducting/cables? or other kit?

My van is in quite good nick (from a rust point of view) so I don't need full tins of a primer (thought am happy to go down that route if a tin is a better option). There's lots of info in the threads on repairing large areas of rust. But not a lot regarding local protection to new holes that I've/we've all just made. :)

Heres some food for thought:
Ambersil Cold Galvanise 400ml (30291)

or a primer pen such as this:

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Hi all,

Quick question to one and all. What do you use to protect any bare metal/cut edges of holes in the bodywork when you fit the heater/ducting/cables? or other kit?

My van is in quite good nick (from a rust point of view) so I don't need full tins of a primer (thought am happy to go down that route if a tin is a better option). There's lots of info in the threads on repairing large areas of rust. But not a lot regarding local protection to new holes that I've/we've all just made. :)

Heres some food for thought:
Ambersil Cold Galvanise 400ml (30291)

or a primer pen such as this:
I used red primer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts