VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just after some informed opinions!
given the choice between a 2009 2.5tdi 4 motion with 45k on the clock, or a newer 2011 2.0 4motion with 85k miles, which would you go for? both full service history, and little difference in condition of bodywork etc.
both are same price and similar condition, I am interested in converting to a camper, and looking to keep for years!
any thoughts appreciated
thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
i would probably go for the later van - 85k is not stupidly high. how many miles are you going to do in a year? you will be looking at a cambelt change on the later van if not done already but that is small beer in the overall cost of the venture.

i would scrutinize the service history on both though. 2.5 gets some bad press but it is a fine engine and durable if looked after - and that means regular oil and filter changes. the two year regime is not good for engines, so if one of the vans has been on the time and distance regime (10k/12months) i would go for that one.

then i would look at the spec to see which had the most desirable options already on it. aircon is worth paying a bit more for.

can i be cheeky and ask how much they are going for? trying to value a 4-motion at the moment and finding it hard to find examples to compare against.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are both around the 14k mark (inc vat) - both have aircon and similar spec but I was worried about the relative reliabilities of the engines, and whether the 2.0 CR diesel is really a step up from the 2.5 (as many I have spoken rate the 2.5 more highly)
I was also unsure what if any other advantages there are in the revised 2010/11 transprters?
thanks for the advice
A

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
the later models are built to a price more so than the earlier models - things like the battery cover and the engine under-shield were stripped from the later model and probably a whole load of other things too.
the 4-motion lost the standard electronic diff lock round about the end of 2012 and it became a £500 option - check to see if the dash has the difflock button on the left hand dash switch cluster.

i like the 2.5 engine and would have ordered my new one with it if i could. the 2.0 is missing a cylinder and needs to be worked just a little harder to get the same results. the 2.5 just romps up hills in higher gear. parts for the 2.0 will be easier and cheaper as the motor is used in millions of VAG passenger cars. the 2.0 is also quieter but lacking the character of the 5-cyl. doubt if there will be much in it relating to fuel economy.

check that service history to make sure haldex oil and filter has been done on schedule.

this could come down to which you like the look of the most...or just drive them and see which you prefer.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I had a 58 plate T30 4Motion (2.5) and loved the power delivery. I had to sell it but missed not having a van so bought a 180PS 4Motion in 2012 - what a lovely engine! Very quite in comparison to the 5 pot and even though it's a DSG, I get about 10-15% better fuel economy, even with the constant temptation of getting that 2nd turbo to kick in.

2 litre for me T:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
not really. I would look at who and how and decide. 2 miles a day on a school run means low mileage but worn engine.
85k of long trips nothing to worry about. has it towed or carried heavy loads? owned privately or was it a pool vehicle?

·
Registered
166 Posts
TBH both engines are good. The 2.5 does drive a little better when carrying a heavy load but both are good.

Do check the Haldex tho! mine just packed in.

The later van (i'm guessing its the face lift version) looks better and the Haldex works more instantly & the inside is a lot more modern in my opinion so that would be my choice.:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Its only got 25k on the clock!!

Errrr yes, they are supposed to be robust but I haven't had the best of luck recently.:(

Thing is tho, how many don't know the Haldex is working properly? Most probably don't even need the AWD!!

I do some work which involves going over farms and I tell you even with the proper tyres on you know when the Haldex is dead :( the VW AWD system when working is simply amazing.A:

·
Registered
945 Posts
the later models are built to a price more so than the earlier models - things like the battery cover and the engine under-shield were stripped from the later model and probably a whole load of other things too.
the 4-motion lost the standard electronic diff lock round about the end of 2012 and it became a £500 option - check to see if the dash has the difflock button on the left hand dash switch cluster.

i like the 2.5 engine and would have ordered my new one with it if i could. the 2.0 is missing a cylinder and needs to be worked just a little harder to get the same results. the 2.5 just romps up hills in higher gear. parts for the 2.0 will be easier and cheaper as the motor is used in millions of VAG passenger cars. the 2.0 is also quieter but lacking the character of the 5-cyl. doubt if there will be much in it relating to fuel economy.

check that service history to make sure haldex oil and filter has been done on schedule.

this could come down to which you like the look of the most...or just drive them and see which you prefer.
Driven both.

This. It would be a 2.5 for me every day.

IMHO the noise that 2.0s make is awful.

Service history on either van is a must.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
would you have any concerns on the mileage front with 45k on the 2.5 vs 85k+ on the 2.0 litre?
The chances are the 2 litre (with that mileage) has been used for long distance travelling which puts far less strain on components than short hops around town. If you can, ask the sellers about the type of usage.

I do about 30k a year, but most of that is on motorways at 2000rpm so minimal wear & tear all round - I'd always opt for the higher mileage than a city driven one.

Best be quick though, someone else will have one or both from under you :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as you suggested one has already gone - the newer van with 85k...
the 2009 van doesnt have cruise control. is it a big/costly job to retrofit? - it is a t5 with the manual wind windows
does anyone have any suggestions for good people to do it midlands/oxon area?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts