VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ay up :)

Had search on the subject but nothing returned (could have been a poor search); I noticed on the Brickyard site, whilst searching for headunit probs he has used a Chop Block in-between the loom and the head unit socket.

Before halfrauds sell me the wrong part, can anyone steer me towards the correct item?

Cheers all :)

R

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MBP,

Thanks for getting back but no, that's more like a breadboard ;)

The picture and 'How To' was in the following URL; I can't post the actual page because my BB provider//owner is blocking the Brickyard site for some reason:* :*

If you go to this site, and find the pictures of the headunit connection socket (goes between the loom and Headunit) he calls it a chop block (I think).

Google this.........

Stereo wiring help needed, pictures included - The Brick-yard

T:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think the part i referenced is what he was talking about.
They are straight through connectors with screws on each side to connect 2 wires together.
By the looks of it he has both sides of the connector, is going to cut the power feeds and swap them over connecting it together with those fittings

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I'll have another look - I think I may have just glanced at it and assumed it was a 'universal/international' ISO type of thing that accepts both the loom and headunit plug, crossing the leads at the same time.

I'm getting very odd behaviour from my HU, I did find a thread that did a walk through kind of thing swapping and reconnecting appropriate wires but didn't note the URL...... :(

CHeers for help though.

R

·
Registered
330 Posts
The ISO adapter/connector cable or HU cable usually allows you to swap the permanent live and switched live with bullet connectors that are already fitted, what kind of problems are you having with the head unit?

·
Registered
665 Posts
The technical term is chocblock

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, I think this is the bit that I need//is missing.

I have an ex display (fleabay, as new tbh) that came with just the hard wired socket - nothing else. I plugged this straight into the brown loom connectors and black speakers and it was fine.....for about 2 hrs of use, then I loose the illumination but the unit will still play. If I disconnect and re-connect the sockets I get another 2 hr phase of happy head unit fuctionality....then cycle repeats.

I think I need to find the thread which illustrates the wires to swap.

I think is was, a) cut the red blue 'loop', b) connect yellow to orange c) stand on one leg whilst connecting your testicles to the leisure battery......... or something like that!

R

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this is a 'done to death' sort of topic, but just in case anyone is in similar boat (I didn't want to start hacking the original loom and have retro bullet connectors etc) - pains me to admit but Halfrauds stocked the exact 'swap-over' loom I needed and the service was indeed exceptional :eek: I know, I couldn't believe it either, the stereo geek was of the highest Jedi status and knew exactly what I needed and was aware of the different config options out there........like I said, pains me to admit but I was/am really happy with the service LOL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts