VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My engine is pretty dirty, I think it had an oil leak at some point before I bought it. I've got some engine degreaser but don't have access to a hosepipe or jetwasher etc. Any suggestions how to go about washing off the degreaser?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Drive to car wash with power washer.. wait for engine to cool and use a spray degreaser.. wash engine here so you don't have oil and grease on your drive
You might want to remove the engine Tray first tho.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Drive to car wash with power washer.. wait for engine to cool and use a spray degreaser.. wash engine here so you don't have oil and grease on your drive
You might want to remove the engine first tho.

drive the van to the car wash,wait on the engine to cool then spend 4 hours removing it from the van and then refit it ???,a bit extreme :*

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Reckon steam clean may be better than spraying loads of water on electrics ?? I have a little domestic one , which is ok for small areas , but would be a pain for complete engine . Could be worth investigating hiring one , or , even , if affordable , get a complete engine , and under van clean done , then protect underneath ... Two birds with one stone ?? Depends whether its worth it to you .

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought stream cleaning was dangerous? People on here suggested I get degreaser and do it myself, I was all ready for this until I read the instructions that said to hose it off!

The van needs a clean anyway so I'll see if I can fine somewhere that does steam cleaning too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
boiling the kettle and pooring it over an area helps as the oil thins off with heat my favorate is a can of jizer paint blush and garden hose. i also use alloy wheel wonder wheels cleaner for the silver bits make sure you wash that stuff off and dont let it dry then use a silicon dresser bumper spray for the plastics should look like new. dont worry hugley about electrics cover electrics with plastic bags if your worried and try and avoid them.*<:)>

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reasoning was along the lines o getting water/steam all over the place and into ts tha
PHP:
t might cause damage where as doing it yourself you can avoid sensitive areas.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
If it's a 2.5 TDI I would keep any water well away from my van as there are electrics everywhere, and they often play up after jet washing. You might spend 4 hours in the wash bay trying to get your van re-started. :eek:

Pressure washer can also blast all sorts of gunk behind the cam belt and that wont do it any good.

Had a oil leak myself recently and VW main dealer used brake cleaner to clean it all up.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye it's the trial. Maybe I'll have a go with just the retreaded, some rags and a kettle!

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have the had 1.9td's not to bad with wet electrics on washing. if your realy worried about water you could try weting with a kettle of hot water over the area then work some jizzer or a good gunk off or similar jizzer do a good aerosol spray it on then work it in with a paint bush all over the area you want cleaned. go boil another kettle and have a cup of tea give the jizzer a few minutes to work then tip another hot kettle over the area and get loads of rags old t shirts are good lol and wipe the area clean.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhh, sorry way replying on my phone, we really need an android app for this forum (try Tapatalk!)

ANyway, it's the 2.5 tdi and I'll give it a go with just degreaser, some rags and maybe a little hot water.

If the rain ever stops that is!

·
Registered
518 Posts
i picked up my 2.5 tdi after a full service,i checked oil when i got home and found to my suprise under bonnet had been pressure washed it looked like new under bonnet,so it must be safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reckon steam clean may be better than spraying loads of water on electrics ?? I have a little domestic one , which is ok for small areas , but would be a pain for complete engine . Could be worth investigating hiring one , or , even , if affordable , get a complete engine , and under van clean done , then protect underneath ... Two birds with one stone ?? Depends whether its worth it to you .
Correct me if im wrong but isnt steam made up of water????

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
i picked up my 2.5 tdi after a full service,i checked oil when i got home and found to my suprise under bonnet had been pressure washed it looked like new under bonnet,so it must be safe.
Was that done by a main dealer?

If I was you i'd open up the electrical conduits and dry the wiring looms out before they corrode from the inside out. I:

·
Registered
324 Posts
spray on tfr then just rinse off with watering can great stuff and doesnt leave horrible smell like other degreaser mr muscle also very good i spray it on withe mr muscle bottleA:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts