VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the seamering on my windscreen might be caused by the water I'm squirting through the jets from the washer bottle. I've properly cleaned off the windscreen and the wiper blades of any film on the windscreen but as I use the jets the film starts to build up again - in just rainwater there's no smearing.

I want to clean out the washer bottle properly - any tips? Doesn't look like an easy job to remove and can't be bothered to pull the bumper off.

I'll try a hot/warm water rinse through first - but if anyone has got any clever tips...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you using a screen wash additive? I would have thought that would be enough to de grease as you go?

If so, try a different brand.

I would also go for some decent new bosch wipers. Always amazes me how they deteriorate in a year or so.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Had this on a car I have ... It was all gunked up .. Solution .. a biological cleaner , it eats the scum , etc. I used a Mr.Muscle grime/kitchen product .. Empty the wash bottle , first , with yr screenwash . Then refill with fairly warm water , and a good dollop of your chosen Bio cleaner . Leave for a while , then empty the bottle with yr screenwash .. Repeat the procedure , a few times , it will remove most of the organic gunk ....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those ideas - I've run some very hot water through a few times with a drop or two of washing up liquid and cleaned the screen again - seems it has made a big difference.

Off to Dorset tomorrow so will see how we get on on the journey.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Put some vinegar on a cloth and wipe the actual wiper blades. Grease and frime can build up on the blades and this can remove this.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Washin up liquid wont get rid of it ..!! It will make it worse , in the end , get a Bio cleaner , when you done that , spray screen with it , and use a scourer on the glass , spray wiper blades , and wipe gently with a cloth , or sponge , then , a small amount of car polish on the screen .. work it really well , and polish it off totally , 2 or 3 times , dont get it on wiper blades ... do it right , and water just wont stick to the screen , and theres no visibility issues . You MUST be very diligent in polishing it off .. !!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Washin up liquid wont get rid of it ..!! It will make it worse , in the end , get a Bio cleaner , when you done that , spray screen with it , and use a scourer on the glass , spray wiper blades , and wipe gently with a cloth , or sponge , then , a small amount of car polish on the screen .. work it really well , and polish it off totally , 2 or 3 times , dont get it on wiper blades ... do it right , and water just wont stick to the screen , and theres no visibility issues . You MUST be very diligent in polishing it off .. !!
scourer on windscreen:eek: remember they are colour coded for applications. so if you are going to use one, make sure its the white colour T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I use a part-worn green spongy type ..!! I know it sounds drastic , but its amazing how much smoother the screen is , after ..!! Obviously , keep well away from anything but glass ..!!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Thanks for those ideas - I've run some very hot water through a few times with a drop or two of washing up liquid and cleaned the screen again - seems it has made a big difference.

Off to Dorset tomorrow so will see how we get on on the journey.

Cheers
Washing up liquid has got salt in it and it will gum up and block the nozzles. You should definitely NOT put it in your washer bottle.

Al.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can buy a Additive that goes in the wash bottle, I bought new Wiper Blades from VW and they gave me a free Bottle, he told me that everytime I fill the Wash/Wipe add some of this, will find out the Name of it when I go out to the Garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts