VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was trying to wire in a stereo reusing some rather dodgy wiring, and, not being particularly proficient, caused something to go wrong electrically.

Now the odometer and clock reset every time the engine is turned off, and the stereo doesn't work.

Any idea what I have done? Fuse? Switch?

Thanks

·
vwconnections.co.uk
1,076 Posts
HI,
Ive got the same problem. My stereo has been in for nearly 3 years and was professionally fitted. The stereo has now stopped working with the screen in the up position. Clock resets everytime the ignition is turned.
It was looked at yesterday and we were told it has an electrical fault (no **** sherlock)

Battery connections have been checked, Stereo is now out of the van but same problem.
Engine starts and runs fine.

Anyone had this and managed to sort it.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
mornin steve, okey dokes guys sounds like youve blown the ignition switch. the plastic bit on the back of the ignition. your van will start but not hold the memory as the accessory circuit will not work. not gospel but this happened to me and i changed the switch and its been fine for the last year. switches are £22 from dealer or £17 from justkampers if i remember correctly. you dont need the barrel just the switch. make sure if you go to dealers they know this. T:

·
vwconnections.co.uk
1,076 Posts
Cheers Ron.
That sound like it could be it. Would that cause the stereo to stop completely?
Maybe it blew the fuse in the stereo when it went.
Better get on to the VW stealers and get it ordered.

Thanks mate.A:

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
could well of done bud. mine didnt stop completely. the radio worked when running but soon as turned it off the radio went dead and everything reset. but it takes some blowing. check the accessory circuit first.

·
vwconnections.co.uk
1,076 Posts
I will check the small fuse in the stereo as it doesnt work at all whether the engines running or not. Clock works until you turn on ignition then resets.
I will order the switch and see waht happens.

Cheers Bud

·
vwconnections.co.uk
1,076 Posts
Just a thought, that switch on the ignition, it doesnt house the immobiliser pick up does it?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive got the same problem, and Ive replcaed the fuses and the ignition switch! Any ideas? Where do I find the accessory circuit and what am I looking for?

Cheers

Robin

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Fitting new stereo, shorted the permanent feed on the earth. No power at all to radio or clock etc. Van runs fine but clock and trip reset when you turn ignition on. Checked every single fuse that I can find, not just the 15 amp ones then put A NEW IGNITION SWITCH ON! Guess what....no difference. Any ideas please anyone ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
YESSSSS!!!!! Thanks Zmok T: Didnt know there was fuses there but that explains why I couldnt seem to find the fuse for the radio. Pulled that cover out and there were 2 fuses, one that was 15 amp and blown. Changed that and the problem was sorted. Plus I have a spare ignition switch!! Hey its good to talk. Thanks T4 Forum!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just found this thread and thanks for the pointer on the extra fuses. Was having the clock reset and no trip mileage when the ignition was turned off. Found I'd blown a 15amp, must have been when I was changing the stereo. Daft thing was I've sat there and pulled all the other fuses out twice now and didn't notice the two set back a few inches underneath. :bhd

·
Registered
12 Posts
just asking since your on the topic of clocks is there a way of finding out true mileage or if somene has rewound the clock as i have found a van t4 03 2.5 tdi and the mileage is to say the least loow it all looks ok but i am little concerned that this van is too good to be true..

·
Registered
1 Posts
you Guys are great! T: I'm fitting out the t4 workhorse for leisure now its finished moving building materials; went to change the stock stereo and when the new head unit (pioneer) was working, I disconnected to fit the cage & tidy up, only to find a dead stereo and a zeroing clock on startup, and the old head unit wouldn't work when reconnected...........:* 3 hrs later and I'm thinking of the petrol can and matchbox solution when I come across this thread. Problem sorted with the 15A fuse in the slideout tray. Must have shorted sumfink at the last stage. Unlikely to have sorted it on my own, Cheers guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great, just searched for this and found this thread, i have the same problem with a resetting clock and no radio.... mine occurred after a flat battery and recharge of the battery while still in the van. Followed the advise and found 15am fuse, which had blown!
Replaced with new fuse but instantly blows on contact with fuse box, did this twice!! Do i need a new ignition switch as mentioned previous ? :* any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just a thought, that switch on the ignition, it doesnt house the immobiliser pick up does it?

Cheers
Steve
Steve, the imobiliser pick-up is seperate - assuming you are talking T4? I changed my ignition switch on my last T4 and the only hard bit was that there is a little screw that is really hard to get to (you need to be a yoga guru) - I bought a set of "bet screwdrivers" from halfords which helped a bit... Once the screw is out, it's plug and play. The pickup for the imobiliser is on top of the ignition barrel, the switch is below it.

I used the following guide - it even shows the screwdriver that I bought!

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8993

Edit - Just spotted that Steve's post was years ago! Ho-hum! :ILU:

·
Registered
28 Posts
YESSSSS!!!!! Thanks Zmok T: Didnt know there was fuses there but that explains why I couldnt seem to find the fuse for the radio. Pulled that cover out and there were 2 fuses, one that was 15 amp and blown. Changed that and the problem was sorted. Plus I have a spare ignition switch!! Hey its good to talk. Thanks T4 Forum!
Hey just curious for the exact location of these 2 hidden fuses as I have the same problem with my dash. I've check the big line of fuses but can't find the 2 you guys seem to be talking about? Any help would be appreciated T:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts