VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

This is my first post, but believe me I am a prolific poster on other forums..... Caravan Enquirer, Angling Photographer etc.

I am soon to acquire a t4, swapping for my van which is LEZ compliant and in tip top order.

The t4 im interested was first registered in 2000 and now has 105k on the clock. Same owner from new.

Only problem is that the steering wheel is very shiny and the gear stick so smooth you can hardly see the map. Does this owner have particularly oily skin?

The perspex has been removed from the dash and there is a line through the lcd display.

All mots are from the same garage, and cross checking on vosa shows 10k to 15k increases year on year. the change in mileage is within 100 miles of these averages which I find suspicious! Also since the last mot 2 months ago it has covered 4k. They seem to do all the work through family and say the water pump and timing was changed at 88k, but how deep does the rabbit hole go?

The van drives well, although the gearbox is soupy and there is a large hole downstream of the cat, advisory on play in ball joints. Are these signs of age beyond what id believe is average for one of these vans?

Also not that anyone should know... but how do you clock a t4, via the vagcom or by removing the dash? Am I being overly paranoid that a private vehicle owner would be so calculating as to clock their van every year starting from 2006 so that they may con a trusting tim?

Do I involve the police, could this be a sting operation, is this the tip of the iceberg, organised crime syndicate? Any vigilantes out there willing to take a punt a perform a citizens arrest based on my hysteria?

Kind Regards

Safety_Crab

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you tried this site http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk It will give you every MOT that was registered with VOSA. It will show up if the MOT copies you have have been altered.

Clocking a van is not too difficult and it is possible that someone clocked it every year, my van was clocked and I knew it was despite the vendor insisting the mileage was correct. Well worn foot (or brand new) peddals are another giveaway

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
lots of vehicles get clocked since 2006 it is more difficult.1 2000 reg van they usually clocked just before there 1st mot.this is very common.unless you have full history that you can check asume its been clocked .your van could have done 30/40k per year as many did.then only show 30k at first mot.so beware no point in involving police they wouldnt be interested.lots of town/city driving and gearknob and steering wheel could be smooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, yes it has been used for town/city driving so id imagine lots of gear changes and wanging the wheel about.

So long as the engine runs well, which it does, i'm not too fussed.

Does anyone know if you can buy a replacement display with dials? I am planning on restoring the van since the bodywork is in good condition.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You can check in vagcom, assuming it's a 2.5TDI?

If you have a laptop, lead & software you can plug it in and read the mileage back directly from the ECU as the ECU also keeps it's own tally of mileage, in Km's only. The ECU reading is separate from the instrument panel reading & I don't think this reading can be modified.

I have checked my own and it roughly agrees with the mileometer reading so I am happy my low mileage '99 T4 hasn't been clocked, and could prove it to a prospective buyer if needed.

If you have the equipment and want to give it a go I'll have a read through my notes to see which measurement block has the information..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiya its a 1.9 td but has the vagcom connection under the steering wheel, maybe ill get a lead and hook up to my laptop. They are going to think im a lunatic, i feel sorry for them. The instructions will be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry, but the 1.9TD doesn't have an ECU so this method can't be used.
I'm not sure what the connector under the steering wheel actually connects to on the 1.9TD's but it won't be to the ECU ('cus it isn't there)
Cheer, Rich..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Might just be the connector cover plate with no connector behind it, or maybe the connector is present but not wired.
I can't say I've ever actually looked under the steering column of a 1.9TD to see what is there normally.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Just a thought on a different angle to spice things up a bit.

1. What do you want the vehicle to do? Big miles, last for years, self convert, pimp etc.

Depending on what you want to do with it and what you can achieve in your DIY garage then is a suspicious clock really a problem to you? Engine swaps are 10 a penny on here and very well documented. Ball joints too and not expensicve to buy.

If the price is right, there's no signs of deep seated rot and you're handy with a spanner then it might be a goer. If you liek garages to do all your work for you and you want to do the minimum amount of work then perhaps look elsewhere.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i would not worry about mileage if price is right for a 10 year old van,these vans will go over 500000 miles if serviced reguarly,mines done 340000 ex taxi it runs like new. its a 2.5 tdi,the 1.9 should do simular mileage.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
If you think it stinks , it probably does, leave it and look again. Although ball joints, steering rack, clutch and exhaust will all be either around "that time" or need doing. Cambelt should be done to be certain anyway.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
who shot jfk ? did the yanks land on the moon ? ,dont know about them and i dont know about the van your thinking of buying, BUT i do like a good conspiracy theory LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
If you think it stinks , it probably does, leave it and look again. Although ball joints, steering rack, clutch and exhaust will all be either around "that time" or need doing. Cambelt should be done to be certain anyway.
This..... Walk away....

·
Registered
123 Posts
The plot thickens.. the van is registered as a the 1.9 td model I wonder what the connector is for?
I have a 1.9 td and I also have a cover where the connector should be. Nothing suspicious ! I think VW used the same cowling on all T4's

On another note , I once got in a T4 taxi in Newcastle , it had in excess of 500,000 miles and it was purring like a kitten!! And the driver was confident it would do another half a million miles !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts