VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had the above symptoms for a while on AJT t4 .After a little thought and research found the problem to be the so called pendulum mount ,which connects the outside end of the gearbox to the sub frame .It has a large rubber bush at the sub frame end which had disintegrated after twenty years ,allowing the through bolt to hit the metal of the mount .Hence the clonk.In reverse the gearbox had excess movement ,hence the judder .If you think about it, it is this mount that prevents the engine going round and not the wheels .If you have this symptom ,check the pendulum mount .The part is twenty quid from Brickwerks and is quite an easy fix .To my surprise the bolts moved easily ,having last moved in Ghent in 1999!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Supplementary to the above post .It is important I found to just support the engine .Dont jack it up too hard as it makes it impossible to move the engine .To get the new mount in and the old one out you need to be able to swing the engine and box forward by using a lever between the engine and transmission .If you jack up too hard you will not move it.If it is gently supported it will swing forward pretty easy .In fact the swing is down and forward.I used a tyre lever and jammed it against the floor to hold the engine forward while i slipped in the mount into position in the subframe .You also need to juggle the engine a bit with the lever to get the front bolt in .Hope this will avoid the struggle i had for a little while .T4 1999 AJT 2.5

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update after this fix .No more clonking or juddering .Also it had sometimes become difficult to engage reverse .I think this may be cured as the gearbox is now being held firmly in place and the difficulty engaging was I think caused by the linkage fouling something as the transmission with worn out (non existent )bush would have been able to move an inch either side of its position .Plenty to cause fouling of the linkage against something in the tight space
around that area .We shall see, if it no longer fouls there will be no more posts and you can assume a cure .

·
Registered
333 Posts
I get my son under the back of the van shoving a lever with his feet. If your top mounts are in good nick it sometimes takes one hell of a heave. Well done for the post mate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts