VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ex AA 2.5tdi sounds and feels like it's falling apart! I knew the cheap dampers on it were knackered so I've replaced those with a set of Gaz before looking into what else needs sorting. The dampers are great so I've eliminated them from the equation.
The driver's side is worse, but both front corners are clunking and knocking badly, even when going over the smallest of bumps in the road. I also suspect a cv joint may be starting to knock.
I thought I'd ask on here what people find to be the common causes of this on these vans: lower wishbone bushes, ARB link bushes, ball joints, etc? I'm hoping to use the experience you guys have to save me spending a fortune on parts I may not need so any experience/advice would be gratefully received.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
My ex AA 2.5tdi sounds and feels like it's falling apart! I knew the cheap dampers on it were knackered so I've replaced those with a set of Gaz before looking into what else needs sorting. The dampers are great so I've eliminated them from the equation.
The driver's side is worse, but both front corners are clunking and knocking badly, even when going over the smallest of bumps in the road. I also suspect a cv joint may be starting to knock.
I thought I'd ask on here what people find to be the common causes of this on these vans: lower wishbone bushes, ARB link bushes, ball joints, etc? I'm hoping to use the experience you guys have to save me spending a fortune on parts I may not need so any experience/advice would be gratefully received.
hello mate

could be anything..

hard to tell wihtout seeing the van

but listed as above

top and bottom ball joints,arb bushes,drop links and wishbone bushes could all be the problem..

jack up ans check for play in any of the above..

if you needed any help or work doing mate i am fully mobile and want be beaten on a top and bottom ball joint oem replacement price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It does sound more 'mechanical' that just worn bushes so I think you may be right regarding ball joints. I've emailed you simon.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MASSIVE thank you to Si for sorting my van yesterday: those ball jointed were well and truly knackered. Fantastic job by Si changing all four ball joints at my place of work. The van drives so much better and is a pleasure to be in: no clunks or bangs!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Peter. What ball joints did Si change? How many miles u got in her? I've got 219k on mine and after driving it for a few months it's does seem a little knocky.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Hi Peter. What ball joints did Si change? How many miles u got in her? I've got 219k on mine and after driving it for a few months it's does seem a little knocky.
top and bottom ball joints using genuine TRW or meyle hd joints..

£215 supply,fit and travel

Cheers si

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't complain with that price at all: you won't find anywhere to beat it! Cheers again si

1 - 7 of 7 Posts