VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my engine out for cambelt damage repair. Though it would be a good idea to change the clutch as it is out and easy to do.

With 90k miles on it, would you guys recommend i change the friction and pressure plate?, or just the friction plate? the pressure plate is not lipped or grooved...

I have not had to inspect a clutch before, but it all looks ok in there, the friction plate is well above the rivets and the flywheel doesnt look worn.

There is about 5 deg or free play in the flywheel, between the inner and outer parts of the dual mass setup, is this OK ?

Any advice or experience on what i should do in this case. Just donw want to re-built all the engine and get it back in to find the clutch needs doing in 6 months etc

Cheers

·
Registered
795 Posts
always change the friction plate and the pressure plate together, thrust bearing as well!! lot of work to do if you just change the frictin plate then the pressure plate decides to die!!
with the flywheel, if theres excessive play in a "forward - backward" motion (towards you rather than a clockwise anti clockwise) then do it as well

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
If yours is a 2.5, then it is also prudent to change the slave cylinder. Apparently it is inside the clutch housing (thanks VW!!)
All them gubbins to change, so that you don't have to whip the engine & box out to change em again!!

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
If yours is a 2.5, then it is also prudent to change the slave cylinder. Apparently it is inside the clutch housing (thanks VW!!)
All them gubbins to change, so that you don't have to whip the engine & box out to change em again!!

Hi matey,

It's only the 2.5L 102BHP that has the internal slave cylinder, the 2.5L 88BHP is located conventionally.

Cheers Trev.

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Oh right.
Didn't know that.
Thanks Trev. T:
Not a problem,

I'm a mine of useless info!:D My head is full of "it" (not entirely sure what "IT" is though!
Maybe I mis heard, The Doctor could have said ****.

You'll miss me when I'm gone!!! (it's only a question of time now!)

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can the slave on my 88hp be changed without removing the gearbox? I see its mounted externally.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats good then, i will make sure i do the thrust bearing, which should come in the kit.

Trying to get this all re-built on a budget, so dont want to change things unless i have too or it make good sense too do it with the engine out...

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts