VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having a bit of a strange problem with my clutch (I think). Most of the time it shifts from gear to gear really smoothly without any problems at all. But on three occasions now in the last three weeks, I will be driving, all being fine and suddenly the gear i won't be able to change into any gear at all, basically meaning that I am stuck in neutral as i roll to a halt. So far I have turned the ignition on and off a couple of times, started it up again and then all is back to normal, gears running as smoothly as possible..

I have had a part worn clutch fitted fairly recently by some one I trust but I am in holland now so was wondering if anyone has any ideas before I go to a garage here and inevitably get told i need a new clutch...

Many thanks,

James

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. why would you fit a part worn clutch. go to the trouble of taking g/box out justfit. new clutch for what it costs. good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for that.

Well I don't know alot about this sort of thing bt I just had a look and when i push the clutch with my hand there does appear to be a bit of sideways movement and squeaking. I am guess it is not supposed to do that?! You say that I can just get a bracket for this and get someone to fit it? It sounds like it is worth a shot for sure :)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for that.

Well I don't know alot about this sort of thing bt I just had a look and when i push the clutch with my hand there does appear to be a bit of sideways movement and squeaking. I am guess it is not supposed to do that?! You say that I can just get a bracket for this and get someone to fit it? It sounds like it is worth a shot for sure :)
If it's too bad it will require a pedal box repair, so have a close look. You may even find a second hand bracket (only joking) for sale LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401126343131

I had one fitted for preventive measures to make sure it never happens to my van. Make sure to get the boatyard buses one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, I just bought that one so will try that first up. Any idea how long it would take a mechanic to do it, just so that I have an idea before I go to one here in Holland. Many thanks again

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Thanks for that, I just bought that one so will try that first up. Any idea how long it would take a mechanic to do it, just so that I have an idea before I go to one here in Holland. Many thanks again
My van was in for a new front cross member so I sort of added this job on while it was there. It is supposed to be a 10 minute job but apparently it wasn't as simple as they thought but still only around half an hour on my 2.5TDI. I bought the bracket and gave it to them to fit. I thought I had detected a slight movement in the clutch pedal and head read the thread about this bracket so decided to get one fitted. It may have been my imagination as I didn't have any problems with the clutch but I feel happier now its done and around £10 quid for the bracket and half an hour labour, it is a good thing to do.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Yeh 30 minutes allows for the kettle to boil, tea to brew, and opening of the rich tea's ;)

Glad you got one from Neil, he's a really nice guy T:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help, fitted the clutch pedal bracket and it seems to be running like a dream! I am telling everyone i know with a t4 to get one, so save their clutch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts