VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone else has had this, sometimes I get a clutch judder when starting off in 1st gear, like it's impossible to pull off smoothly. It seems to go away when the engine is warm and/or I've driven a few miles. It's hard to pin down but I'm pretty sure it happens when the van is cold as I noticed it when leaving home 1st thing this morning then at about 5pm when leaving to drive back. Both journeys by the time I got to my destination it wasn't there.

At first I thought it was just me being lazy pulling away, It's been happening on/off for a few weeks now Is this a known problem?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading a few posts here point towards the dual mass flywheel, but it's less than 2yrs old and 31k so I'd be pretty disappointed if it's worn out this quick!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wondered if anyone else has had this, sometimes I get a clutch judder when starting off in 1st gear, like it's impossible to pull off smoothly. It seems to go away when the engine is warm and/or I've driven a few miles. It's hard to pin down but I'm pretty sure it happens when the van is cold as I noticed it when leaving home 1st thing this morning then at about 5pm when leaving to drive back. Both journeys by the time I got to my destination it wasn't there.

At first I thought it was just me being lazy pulling away, It's been happening on/off for a few weeks now Is this a known problem?
very early signs of dmf most likely must admit is not good this early must be under warrenty

·
Registered
458 Posts
mine is a 1995 and a solid flywheel ...... it dont worry me at all :ILU:

·
Registered
392 Posts
1.9 102 2009, 31k miles
Could be the DMF :*

Mine went at about 40k on a 2005 1.9 104

However, since it was replaced I still get a similar problem at 55k so I am seriously hopeing that this one is not on iit's way out as well

For the DMF do you get a vibration through the clutch pedal at all (other than the judder that is!) as this is usually a sign that there may be trouble ahead (read "expense")

K.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not noticed a vibration through the clutch pedal more the van juddering when you take the clutch up. Happened this morning again when cold, stopped after 5 minutes of driveing, pulled off it was gone... ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not noticed a vibration through the clutch pedal more the van juddering when you take the clutch up. Happened this morning again when cold, stopped after 5 minutes of driveing, pulled off it was gone... ?
You may well be OK then.

My van pulled off the drive real smooth today and OK at the first junction, then had a bit of a judder at the next two then calmed down again :* Doesn't seem to be any reason

If your flywheel does go though - and you will know when it has :eek: - do not be tempted to drive on it even if it wants to as you could cause damage to the belhousing and gearbox

I'm sure it will be fine ;)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
mine was done at 35k 2007 1.9 102bhp now 2 years on 45k juddering again

whats it like cold in reverse ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cold in reverse seems OK, but needs more revs as drive is on slope so I reverse back off it.
I have noticed it a couple of times in M25 traffic today when warm :(

Sounds like Darren might be getting a visit soon if it gets worse...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've a 1.9Tdi 2006 complete with judder when cold. I've asked a place down here in Dorset and for £860 ish the DMF and clutch will be changed. I'm having it looked at over the weekend to see if it needs changing. :(

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Carl, happy to test for you, couple of things though

Clutches are always contentious as far as warranty claims go
Often it is found signs of slippage will void a warranty claim
Any weight issue can be viewed as a contributing factor

That said we would do our utmost in being unbiassed in our diagnosis and assessment, and should a mechanical defect be found then I am confident your warranty would cover the cost of repair

As it is when cold, I'd prefer to have it overnight to play with the following morning

(sorry for delay in answering this thread, just been driving my Touran that judders in first and had it's flywheel and clutch replaced 500 miles ago :()

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank Darren, can't say I'd be chuffed if I do end up paying for it as it's only done 31k and 13k of that was done by the previous owner - VW !

·
13,223 Posts
Thank Darren, can't say I'd be chuffed if I do end up paying for it as it's only done 31k and 13k of that was done by the previous owner - VW !
A vw franchise though mate not vw themselves

We'll have a chat with vw if it comes to the worse

But here's to hopeful

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi all, mine also has started juddering in 1st gear pulling away quite bad when cold .have to pull away carefully to avoid it but seems to be ok after a few miles , worse when uphill cold.do I need to get checked out or is money spent unnecessary thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi all, I also have the exact same problem, however if i pull off in second it seems ok. I had a similar problem in my old transit and turned out to be the lower rear engine mount.
My van is a 2006 102hp 140k on the clock.
Dazboi where is your franchize? I am in oxford and may take a visit to you, Cheers. :)

·
13,223 Posts
Hi all, I also have the exact same problem, however if i pull off in second it seems ok. I had a similar problem in my old transit and turned out to be the lower rear engine mount.
My van is a 2006 102hp 140k on the clock.
Dazboi where is your franchize? I am in oxford and may take a visit to you, Cheers. :)
We've got a branch at eynsham Jeff vaders in charge down there, he's a van lover too although not ad unhealthily as me :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts