VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just (a month ago) had the gearbox removed and noisy bearings replaced In my T5. This has fixed the loud whining noise I was experiencing, however since I've had the van back I'm getting a new problem! The van is now juddering a little when pulling away when the engine is cold. Also, gear change from 1st to 2nd feels a little rough between the gears when cold,(sometimes clunk together) When I'm travelling at around 40-50 mph there's a slight high pitched 'whine' when the engine is not pulling, eg going down hill or when you depress the clutch.When the vehicle has warmed up, the problems seem go away and the van drives like normal.
I've put the problem down to 'bedding-in' of the new parts etc however the problem doesn't seem to be going away. Does anyone have any ideas? Could the clutch be not adjusted properly?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My money is on the duel mass flywheel being worn, mine was very similar until I had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago.

Daz

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Now i know this sounds daft...& don't shoot the messenger!!!! but I have read somewhere on here a while ago... That the judder can also be related to the clutch plates, being a little damp / condensation on first start up (cold mornings etc)...:confused: :( I: & not necessarily signs of the DMF failure.

One of the posts said to let your van warm up for a minute or two & even pump your clutch a few times before you drive off.

Now i must admit, i get a judder at times (more noticable when cold) and i follow these steps and tbh, (it maybe all in my head, cos i have read it) but i think it works... I: I always start vehicles with the clutch depressed too...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Pass........ I don't have an auto gearbox & nor did the person who i replied too.. (We're not lazy) LOL: Rasp:

In your case, maybe changing the Gear oil would help????????
I don't like Auto but it's all the wife can drive I:

Took a while to get used to as well after only ever driving manual.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Mine is the same. Well, to be exact, leave it outside overnight, judder on the fist couple of pull aways, leave it in the garage overnight, no judder.

My money is on a bit of damp/surface corrosion on the plate when left standing overnight. If it only happens when it's cold.

It's been like this for 2 years. One year ago, I too had a bearing replaced in the gearbox, by VW. They checked the clutch for me at the same time and said it was good for many miles yet.

It's a "characteristic" of the T5 I think.

Do get it checked out though, just in case, just don't assume the worst.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get it too when cold and have noticed it more science the temp has dropped. I'm sure that the dmf has grease sandwiched between the two flywheel plates and this is why it's better once warm. I also get a very slight pulsing if you press you foot enough to take the free play on the clutch pedal only when cold. No I don't ride the clutch just something I noticed !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Exactly the same with mine. Has always juddered a couple of times in first gear when cold/damp and then absolutely fine. Not given me any other problems so far :gl

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
This is a great post.

It just goes to show that it really is just characteristic of some T5 1.9TDi clutches.

The peace of mind I had is that VW looked at mine and they were cool that it wasn't in need of replacement.

Judder on it's own, when cold is OK.

Just watch for other symptoms of a worn clutch before panicking. T:

·
Registered
338 Posts
When mine was juddering when cold, I looked up symptoms, and the web says DMF on it's way out.....but, actually it probably isn't at all (thankfully) seeing as many others have same thing as me, makes me a happy camper that I don't have to fork out big money..............yet at least ! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers everyone for posting - didn't expect to hear so many reports of juddering volkswagons! Quite interesting and reassuring to know this however I figure I may as well take my van back to the garage that did the recent work and double check on things. They did assure me when they removed the gearbox they'd check the DMF and clutch and I've only driven 6 or 700miles since the work so hopefully these components are still ok... Just the slight 'humming' that concerns me - I wondered whether this could be a bit of grease/oil on the clutch plate? ..which becomes less viscous when then vehicle is warm causing the noise to stop...?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts