VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning just a quickie
im getting a remap on my 2.5tdi only pushing it to 125bhp on standard stock clutch will this be ok ?
the van has done 102,000 and im not sure what mileage would people expect from the original 1st clutch or should i replace the clutch also to be on the safe sideT:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I would say run it and see how it feels first. The clutch would depend on driving habits but my first change was around 135000 miles and I put that down to tugging a big caravan some weekends and then across France for the holiday.

Hills etc and traffic with a caravan will make for an early clutch change. So you should be ok to around 150,000 plus I would have thought.

Dual Mass Flywheel of course is another thing. Watch out for any judder when pulling away in 1st. That's a clear indicator that the DMF is on the way out. You can live with for a while, but eventually you will have get it replaced. Big and expensive, but if do it and then never look at the bill again, it's fine.

Let us know how you find the re-map and if it causes any issues. My 2.5tdi 102bhp Multivan is bog standard and still drives like a dream after 250,000 miles. T:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Depends on the type of person you are..

I'm getting old now and hate rolling around on the driveway - there was a time I loved it , but the old bones have started to show their age, So I adopt the ruling "Do it once and don't return.." So with that in mind on another vehicle, to accommodate the remap I went to Darkside and got a new DMF and upgraded clutch.. and so far its been great.. no issues..

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/transverse/

After pricing a genuine VAG component there wasn't much in it pound for pound, but there was a better clutch on offer so no brainer in my eyes...T:

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
Mine was changed at 180k original DMF but it did have an easy life, it usually had nothing in it.
Replaced for another DMF, was advised to keep to these as its kinder on the gearbox, mines a 2.5 TDi 102.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments i know this has only ever been used to transport family and luggage to holiday sites and then locked up in a barn until it was required again so i guess that classes as light use ? 1 owner before me T:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mines just gone at 153000 whilst in Spain, any ideas of cost at VW dealership, done this trip 24 times 3000 plus trip.Booked in for Tuesday :confused:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
My 2.5 tdi was making about 116ps .
I had the van from 48000 , it was previously a carpenters van, although in good condition and properly serviced, obviously I know nothing of his driving style.
Clutch began to slip at 125000, it was changed then.
I had used the van as a daily driver for the first 3 of the seven years I had it . Weekends and holidays it was doing return trips of anything from 380 to 2500 miles regularly. Certainly on the 'continental' trips I wasn't hanging about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mines just gone at 153000 whilst in Spain, any ideas of cost at VW dealership, done this trip 24 times 3000 plus trip.Booked in for Tuesday :confused:
Wasn't the clutch the belt tensioner ( not tightened sufficiently) moved and allowed the belt to come off,only replaced 8 months ago end up a new top end refurb valves, tappets, and oil pump and belts and tensioners expensive. Going back to the garage that did the job 8 mths ago with all the bits

1 - 9 of 9 Posts