VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
exAA 2001 2.5 tdi

Hi guys and gals.
Got what started out to be a very weird problem, but now just weird.

All started a few days ago - at a roundabout, waiting - in 1st gear with clutch to the floor. Suddenly I stalled (with the clutch still down).
Engine off. Take it out of gear.
The clutch is stuck down to the floor but managed pull it up with my toes and it flops a bit. Start engine. Pump it and seems fine but won't go into any gear. Sounds a bit crunchy.
Pump more. Turn off engine. Try to get it into any gear and still won't go.
Hazard lights are turned on by this point. And my dog on the front seat give me 'the look'.
A bit more trying to get in gear and clutch pressing up and down etc engine on and off, then it works - like nothing happened.
Dog just tuts, shakes her head and goes back to sleep.
Drive home. Usually a bit of a problem parking where I am but luckily a space on the end of the road.
Put it in reverse, clutch still down and van starts chugging backwards.
Basically - managed to park, put it in first gear to come off the bumper of the car behind and its still going in reverse - whilst in 1st gear, and also whilst in neutral even with the clutch down.
Had to switch off, let off handbrake and crowbar the front wheel to get it to move forward a bit. Luckily no damage to car behind.
Tried it a bit later once car behind had moved and it was still stuck in reverse gear even though in neutral.

Next day had fixed itself. However, the biting point had changed so it is now just millimetres off the floor - which it has never been.
It will go into gear and is now the correct gear but it all feels a bit 'wrong'.
Do I go to Mr Clutch or a proper mechanic (appointments next year)?

Cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have a look at the brake fuid reservoir, has it gone down? This also feeds the clutch master cylinder. Next have a look underneath, on the line of the bell housing, engine / gearbox joint, if it is wet with brake fluid then it will be the concentric slave cylinder leaking as as such, sorry but you are gonna need a new clutch.
Just a quick edit to say, + 1 for not going to Mr Clutch. Its only a clutch, any decent indy garage can do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The reservoir seems ok. It is within min/max - don't know if it has gone down though.
Contacted my usual local T4 guru who has taken pity on her and can see it in the dead period after xmas - off the road till then it seems.
Its been raining so will check when it is a bit drier to see if there is brake fluid around.
Sort of hoping it was the clutch and not the gearbox. Not brilliant news - but could be worse.
Mr Clutch was recommended by someone I know but in general these beasts seem to need a bit more knowledge than the average car on the road so the advice confirms my suspicions.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't seem to be any fluid anywhere.
Anyway - off to van doc in a couple of weeks. I think the diagnosis is... It is broke.
To look on the bright side - hasn't had to go in for repairs for over a year - and at least I wasn't stranded. Any more bright sides - feel free to post.
Bright side - at least the cambelt didn't break.... :)
Bright side - it wasn't the brakes..... phew.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, poor thing. After having to put up with some minor cussing from the idiot in the drivers seat.

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,232 Posts
Many of us assume that we are...
Just a shame that so many females have stopped wearing skirts now....makes it more difficult to tell. :whistle:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't worry - you're safe. I'd rather have Liam Neeson chasing me down than missus yellowgit if I said something like that - even when under the influence and have a valid defence.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just in case anyone else has the same problem....
Spent xmas period parked up waiting for the visit to the van doctor as the last couple of times the gears got stuck and the clutch pedal wouldn't come up except with some toe help.
Finally got mechanic to agree to agree to see it today.

Started her up - first time in damp 3 weeks and no problems at all.
Drove it round for half hour driving like an idiot and coasting and wrong gear to get it to go wrong but would it? Nah!
Then down went round to mechanic to say 'Hi' anyway but not a lot he can do unless he sees the problem.
So - back on the road till the next time.
One of those intermittent type problems that everyone loves and waits for!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update to the update -
Went wrong again at a particularly busy set of traffic lights. Stressed out mechanic reckons its one of the cylinders - start with replacing the master and see how it goes from there. Air getting in somewhere.
Half a dozen clutch pumps mostly resets it till the next time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just in case someone has the same problem -
Finally got it booked in for a new master cylinder and a couple of pipe unions on a copper-like pipe above engine block.
So far all is good. Will update

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hopefully that will be the end of it and the dog will suffer no more embarrassment. It wont have been air getting in though as air that gets in will not get out by pumping up and down, only by bleeding will you get the air out. The seals in the master cylinder could have been a bit weak and not doing the job properly, the master cylinder is a bit like a bicycle pump, it simply pushes foward to do its job.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers. Good to know.
I'm not a mech by any means.
It took me over an hour to fit a replacement aerial and I've got some bits left over from it but it seems solid enough and does the job!
Clutch still happy. Unions not leaking.
Going for a service next week. Always purrs after an oil change.
Dog still groans when taken for a drive. Probably my driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts