VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch pedal on my T5.1 2015 140 is sticking to the floor but can be popped back up with my hand. There is a small amount of fluid that has dripped from some where and has dripped from the lowest point of the engine which is towards the passenger’s side.

Had a search on tinternet and this sound expensive. Slave cylinder? Clutch master cylinder?

Any ideas on the problem would be appreciated

Cheers

Clive

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it's the slave cylinder = gearbox out! Ouch. Apparently a rare failure.

My master cylinder leaked at just over three years old and 15k miles. I shamed VW into changing it but would do it myself if it went again. About £35 from TPS, bleeding a bit fiddly to get to the valve (coolant tank move and intake pipe off looks like the way to go, I'm about to flush the brake/clutch fluid).

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's the slave cylinder = gearbox out! Ouch. Apparently a rare failure.

My master cylinder leaked at just over three years old and 15k miles. I shamed VW into changing it but would do it myself if it went again. About £35 from TPS, bleeding a bit fiddly to get to the valve (coolant tank move and intake pipe off looks like the way to go, I'm about to flush the brake/clutch fluid).
Yes with my limited understanding the 6 speeder box has to come out for the Slave cylinder. And yes ouch.

I can’t see exactly where the fluid is coming from as don’t have the facility to jack it up at the moment. Its gonna be a rite pain for work this week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine dripped a bit into the footwell but had gone under the mat so I didn't notice it straight away.

It's easy enough to remove the lower dash panel and see the bellows/piston etc.... Fairly obvious weeping/leak going on with mine.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
In general- The clutch pedal sticking down thing simply means that there is a leak in the system and some air has entered. On T5's the pedal has a spring that assists the pedal in both directions to give a light/better feel. It's quite a clever thing mechanically. To work properly, the system needs to have no air in the hydraulic system. What you are experiencing is the mechanical part of pedal getting its chance to shine!

You can put off the evil day (depending on how big the leak is) by bleeding the air out, then the clutch will work perfectly until air enters again. But in the end you will need to find the leak. Follow the clutch pipe to check for any external leaks and check in the cab, up under the pedal for the master cylinder leaking. The internal (concentric) slave cylinders mean you have to take gearbox out to replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I have a 2011 transporter and the clutch pedal just sits on the floor and can be placed back into position by hand, there is no traction on the pedal and the reservoir seems fine, maybe a slight bit low, but no sign of leaks anywhere, I have removed all visible bolts on the clutch pedal, but the bloody thing won’t budge, is there a bolt holding it in under the bonet?
In short, I am hoping I will see damage to the master cylinder, but I can’t remove the clutch pedal, I have loads of pics, someone please help

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
This is the bolt you are looking for !

DSCN3117.JPG

It also acts as a mount for the wiring loom, it's the bolt you can see in the picture directly above where the two wiper motor arms cross.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts