VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to access the clutch slave cylinder on a 2015 T5.1 5-Speed 2.0? I can see it, and TX fluid around top of gearbox, so I assume it the cause of my clutch pedal occasionally not lifting from floor. Access seems a bit tight - is there a relatively straight forward way to reach it through wheel arch or from above?

GC.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Slave cylinders can vary in mounting position depending upon year/engine, etc. On my 2005 1.9 it is on top of the bell housing & I've found the best access to the bleed nipple is by removing the near-side front wheel & reaching in through the inner wheel arch. Access to remove said slave cylinder is awkward to say the least !!
It is possible if you have a proper ramp that access might be a bit easier from underneath, but I have never tried it.
Other engine types/sizes have the slave cylinder mounted inside the bell housing & obviously access to them requires removal of the gearbox.

Is what you can see definitely the slave cylinder & not just a pipe junction with the bleed nipple on ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CAT3, yes slave is the external version, its the 5 speed box. I believe the 6 speed box has the internal concentric slave that requires the gearbox to be dropped out.

I can see it top of the bell housing - but is pretty deep in the engine bay and looks like lots to remove to get to it from above.

I did take off PAX wheel and arch liner, but still no view of it directly. Haynes 'suggests' its straightforward job to swap unbolt/replace bleed, haha - its getting to it is the pain...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts