VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Clutch went yesterday. AA man (whilst chucking brake fluid all over the engine bay) diagnosed a slave failure. I can't see a problem with the master or any line leaks.

I've removed the old slave but have it still attaches to the line. Depressing the pedal extends the piston and no fluid spurts out. But the gaitor over the piston fills with fluid. My question is whether the slave has failed or not? Should i expect to see the fluid peeing out or is the seal before the gaitor - and the fact that the gaitor is filling proving the seal is gone? Or is all functioning normally?

Hope that makes sense?!? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Should be bone dry mate.

unless its gone past full travel at which point it fills the boot with fluid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the seal is on the piston shaft - O-ring or similar? And if the boot has fluid in it then the o-ring has failed so a replacement is def the right way to go. Yes?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Yep.

Rubber gaitor is basically just a dust shield to keep crud away from the seal on the piston.
If gaitor has fluid in then it's goosed, unless as stated above you have over extended the piston by pressing the clutch with the cylinder out. Was it wet before you pressed the pedal down. If it's just popped the piston out you can carefully put it back in but as you already had a problem I would say it was already knackered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, gaiter was already wet when i first got it out. I have a new cylinder and am about to put it in.

So where was the fluid going when it blew - i assume it went into the clutch housing? Is that gonna cause me problems? Oily clutch plates etc?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about where the fluid went, it wouldn't have been too much and it will either soak into crud already in the bell housing or just work it's way out the bottom. I doubt it's got onto your pressure plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I’ve replaced the slave and bled the system and it hasn't fixed the problem. :(
So what's wrong?

1) I've messed up the install?
2) I haven't bled it properly?
3) It wasn't the slave in the first place?

So is it possible to install a slave incorrectly? I couldn't see what was going on so all done by feel, but it doesn't seem possible to locate the piston incorrectly? Or is it? Other than that, as long as the 2 bolts are done up, there doesn't seem to be anything I could have messed up?

So is it a bleeding issue? Well I think I bled it correctly using both nipples on the slave and top of the line. The slave nipple is a bugger though as it's plastic and rounded with little effort - and using molegrips down there was a right old song and dance. But I bled twice, 15 hours apart to let any air settle at the top nipple.

When pressing/releasing the clutch pedal I can hear a squeak from the slave which sound to me as if it is moving in and out in line with the pedal action. So is it working ok or just partially working? Or should it not squeak at all given that it'll be lubricated by the brake fluid?

Or is it something else completely? There's no fluid in the footwell and I can’t find any fluid on or around the master cylinder and the pedal mount box is in one piece.

Help.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karlos - Are you saying it's impossible to do without a pressurized kit? Or just that it's a lot easier?
I'm not really wanting to spend out on a kit unless it's really needed - call me tight!

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Try really pumping the pedal to build some pressure before cracking the bleed nipple. Might work, and might save you buying a kit. Remember it took a fair bit bleeding the clutch on jimmyjames van after the tdi swap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm going back down to German & Swedish to get a new nipple before I try anything else. The crappy plastic one that came with the slave cylinder has not only rounded but the nipple bit decided to stay in the bleed pipe when I removed it.

Not having much luck with this :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have just fitted a new slave cylinder on my 95 plate 2.4D, to bleed the system I used an oil can & a length of 1/8 washer tubing.
- Fill the new clean oil can with the clutch fluid
-attatch the washer hose to the end of the oil can spout & the other end to the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.
-undo the cap on the brake & clutch resevoir
-with a spanner loosen the bleed nipple by 1/2 a turn
-then pump the fluid into the system via the bleed nipple
when the resevoir has been topped up to the max level close the bleed nipple & remove the washer tubing, job done :D
This works as air wants to rise & so filling the system from the bottom up helps it all on its way, & no need for a pressurised bleed kit simplez A:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

• I changed both slave and master cylinder but no fix.

• Tried a gunson eazibleed kit to ensure good bleeding but still no fix.

• Had clutch and flywheel replaced (Mr clutch surprisingly helpful and let me supply the kit and only charged £250ish in labour). They said it was really worn but nothing broken/snapped as far as they could see. But this seems to have fixed the problem.

I do have a problem with a small leak from the master but I think this is from my fitting technique so I’ll post in a separate thread.

Thanks for all the help T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts