VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a bit of a rookie at this, my old man knows what he is doing but I'm just trying to get some info.

I was driving home last night and the clutch just stayed on the floor when I changed gears, up until then it was only engaging really close to the floor so I knew something was amis.
This morning I looked at it and you can pull the pedal up and it stays up but when you push it down it stays on the floor.

I have read that the master cylinder is in the clutch assembly so I'm guessing that I'm up for putting in a whole new clutch, or is there some better news this close to christmas...

Thanks in advance for any replies, happy holidays.

Will.

*<:)>

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
depending on year there is a clutch slave cylinder at the bottom of the pedal,if the pedal box has suffered the dreaded pedal box failure and cracked,this can cause the slave cylinder to leak,worth a check T:

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi,

Check your brake fluid level! The clutch uses the same reservoir, but it's take off point is higher than the brake take off point . So the clutch will always fail. From lack of fluid before the brakes fail!!

There is a very strong helper spring to help you press the pedal .( the return spring is tiny by comparison) the symptoms you describe are pointing to air in the system either from a leak or low fluid level!

Which side of the road do you drive on? The clutch pedal box problem only affects right hand drive vehicles!

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys.

The fluid level was fine and the pedal box must have been welded up by previous owners.
We took out the bleeder at the top and pushed the pedal in and out and didn't get a steady flow of fluid so the master cylinder is out and off to get re-sleeved, hopefully before christmas...

the last entry on the service record says they were having the same issue 2 years ago, maybe they didn't do much of a job fixing it. I've had it for a year.
Is there possibly another issue that can cause the issues with the master cylinder??
Again, thanks for your replies..

Will

·
Registered
703 Posts
if the master or slave cylinder had failed i would have thought you you find some fluid either near the clutch pedal or on your gearbox

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

I took it to get re sleeved and when the guy had it apart he found that the fluid had been contaminated which had damaged some of the internal seals that can't be replaced. He tried to come up with a fix for it but couldn't get it to work. I guess the contaminated fluid is what was causing the problems all along.
Anyways the van is parked for christmas until I can find a new master cylinder, hopefully I cant find one thats reasonably priced.

Have a good christmas,

Will

*<:)>

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi Will,

If I was you, I would be a little concerned about the state of my brake seals in the master cylinder and the calipers!
The brakes and clutch share a common reservoir so if your clutch master cylinder has been damaged, it is highly likely that your braking system seals have suffered exactly the same damage!
While its off the road I would check the caliper seals on at least one wheel for any signs of damaged seals!

On a more positive note, I really can't imagine what normally available fluid you could put in a reservoir other than petrol/diesel/antifreeze that would screw seals up, brake fluid is pretty nasty stuff anyway, and most other fluids won't touch the seals!

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it seems strange, the service record shows it has been a recurring issue and the mob that used to have it serviced hydraulic lifters so maybe a rookie put something in there that they shouldn't have.
I'll definitely keep an eve on the brakes, the guy who was looking at it said because the clutch takes the fluid from the top of the tank the brakes are less likely to have been contaminated, that said the clutch went suddenly I'm not keen on suffering a similar fate with the brakes. I'll keep an eye on it.
I've found the part locally at a competitive price so I just got to get out in the sun and get it all back together.

Thanks for your help, Happy New Years!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts