1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys well here we go,

Started Today, my conversion.

A little bit of history.

I had my Dads T4 for a while as I was selling it for him because of Boris and his LEZ(ies).
My Dad lives in London and myself up north, So I brought it up north to sell and got the use out of it whilst selling it.
I loved it so decided I had to get one.
Been into my VW's for quite a while and currently have a Mk1 Cabby. but its not the T4. so gona sell it now.

THE VAN.

I spent ages scouring the net for one at the right price and finally did.

A really nice bloke down near Cambridge was selling a 2000 plate that he was in the middle of converting, He also has a VR Turbo and to many projects and all that so something had to give, well it was the van. :ILU::ILU:

I spoke to Phil who owned the Van and we had so discussions and he explained that he acquired the van with a goosed engine and had started the conversion.
The new engine had bee removed and the mount holes drilled and tapped and he had replaced the engine to check fitment, I am sure loads of other work had been done too!!.

So where are we well today i removed the engine out fitted new Oil seal on the clutch side, removed the sump and oil pick up.
Then in the back of the van I removed the sump from the old engine, Apparently its head had cracked and I am not surprised cos when I took the sump the oil was like Tar not oil, the pickup was all clogged to so I dont think much oil was getting up top.

I also organised the back of the van so I knew where things were.
1st day on the job took a bit of "getting going" but pleased with the few hours work.
Tomorrow
Drill dipstick, fit ABU sump and pickup.
Fit flywheel.
Fit timing side crank seal and new belt kit.
And maybe get the engine back in place.

T:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good stuff. Sounds like some of the grunt work has been done for you!

Picking up my donor Golf on monday... Can't wait! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 1Z, Perhaps you should ask that question as a main post it would be interesting to find out.

Well today I didnt manage to get started till 2 in the afternoon as I got a bit drunk last night and suffered a bloody hangover today :-(
So with shakey hands and dizzy spells it soldiered on HAHA.
I fitted the oil pickup after spending some more time cleaning all the tar out of it.
Repositioned the block and drilled out the dipstick hole, starting with a 2mm bit I worked my way to 10mm and and then drilled a 14mm countersink for the stop of the dipstick.
Big thanks to Aggie cos it is his thread I am currently following..

I used some ptfe tape to seal the top, I think I might just leave the other dipstick in place as it saves having to block the hole (LAZY)

I then refitted the ABU sump. 2 sump bolts fit to the underside of the crank seal housing and after fitting all the bolts bar these 2 (typically I left these to last) I realised that the new crank seal I had fitted the bolt hole were tapped to a larger size than the original, so I had to take the bloddy sump of again to ascertain the right size bolts, go and find some then put the sump on again. Haha.

I then bolted the flywheel back Hurrah. It was about 6 by this time and to cold after this so. came in

Timing side tomorrow after work :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice one siomac, Its good your all excited especially with the cold weather :0)
The cold won't bother me; I've worked in the arctic! It's the threat of snow that bothers me... Although I'm sure by the time i finish my conversion it'll be summer...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that wasnt such a good evening.
Timing kit supplied by euro car parts is the incorrect one and the oil seal on timing side is also wrong, I havent fitted the timing kit so should be a problem getting my pennies back but, the oil seal I tried to fit but it is slightly oversized outer diameter and the inner is 3mm to large, so they are going to get that one back a bit bashed, it's their fault tho not mine that its wrong, hope they swap as it was nearly a tenner.

Wait and see I suppose

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the replacement seal no bother, installed that and the work has continued.
Made 2 egr blanking plates and fitted them, I had some ally lying around so it was an easy make.

With that done I decided it was time to chuck the loom through the bulkhead, I decided not to strip the loom back as advised as i thought some of the wiring may be useful later on for other ancillary items. so I pulled it through placed the wiring either by the pedal box for brake switch, clutch switch etc or fed it to the fuse box. My only concern is that I have an issue with G2 on the fuse box

as you can see quite clearly Penbryn has got a green wire in his loom on G2 at position 1 (top left) where as mine doesn't and I dont know where it is, so if anyone knows what to do about it please let me know - thanks.
Ps thanks Penbryn for all your help so far

With that aside I did manage to get the engine back into the bay, I havent got an engine hoist which would be most benificial, I do have an electric hoist mounted to my garage ceiling but it doesnt move back forward left or right just up and down so it can cause some hard work, but eventually I got it all back together witha bit of grunt and Muscle -GRRRRR.

But its in!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the heads up, that will be my first job tonight when I get in then.
I dont know how you managed to see that from my crappy photos, lol, but very well done.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts