VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LWB Sportline a few months old and I love it apart from two things.
The Kenwood unit drives me mad, but that's another story.
The suspension is very hard especially when empty or lightly loaded, which it mostly is.
I have read a lot on here about coilovers versus springs but I don't quite understand why there should be a difference (or what the difference is). If coil overs have the spring over the damper (is that right) where does the damper go other than there when you have springs? Or have I got it wrong altogether.
If I were to change the springs / dampers etc can I get a real improvement in the smoothness and ride without losing the ability to carry a load when I need to? Will it effect insurance?
I hadn't considered doing anything to the suspension and planned any spend to be on the inside, when the toy fund is replenished in, oh say, 100 years or so. If I could get a really improved ride though my priorities might change. What's the minimum cost to get a worthwhile improvement?
Sorry for too many questions and thanks in anticipation for any help.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have a LWB Sportline a few months old and I love it apart from two things.
The Kenwood unit drives me mad, but that's another story.
The suspension is very hard especially when empty or lightly loaded, which it mostly is.
I have read a lot on here about coilovers versus springs but I don't quite understand why there should be a difference (or what the difference is). If coil overs have the spring over the damper (is that right) where does the damper go other than there when you have springs? Or have I got it wrong altogether.
If I were to change the springs / dampers etc can I get a real improvement in the smoothness and ride without losing the ability to carry a load when I need to? Will it effect insurance?
I hadn't considered doing anything to the suspension and planned any spend to be on the inside, when the toy fund is replenished in, oh say, 100 years or so. If I could get a really improved ride though my priorities might change. What's the minimum cost to get a worthwhile improvement?
Sorry for too many questions and thanks in anticipation for any help.
Yes we recently fitted a set of H&R springs to a customers brand-new sportline because of the really quite tall standard suspension set up it only dropped around 20mm he reported a much better ride quality!!, VW seem to of increased spring rated across the whole T5.1 range and we find alot of customers find the standard ride quality really quite poor and worse when empty:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So does that mean the original dampers / shocks are kept? I assume the new springs still go over the dampers but because they are not a combined unit they are not called "coilovers"?
How much was it to change the springs as you say above? Is the load rating of the van reduced?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts