VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to decide what Coilovers to buy to lower the van

Read loads of posts on here with Bilstein B14 as being excellent - but are they overpriced?
Middle ground (price) VMAXX most users happy - so what is the difference?
Low end Jom with many users saying they are good with no problems - Are they so much worse?

Nothing conclusive and difficult to make a decision, I don't want to waste money spending more than is necessary nor by buying too cheap and having to pay again!!

Anyone got some facts or sound advice on this topic?

T28 with banded 17" steels.

Matt

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Had FK coilovers on my old van then changed to B14's as some came up at a good price, yes they are expensive but make a major difference, you feel more in control of the van, less back to front nodding than the Fk's (the FK's did go lower)

I have just bought a another van and the plan was to get some £500 coilovers, when the time came i just couldn't do it as if they weren't as good as the B14's i would have felt i had wasted £500, hence went for B14's again.., i think if you want to slam the van on massive wheels with very low profile tyres then best go with cheaper ones as you wont feel the benefit due to the wheels / tyres and the ride wont be great what ever you put on

the B14's are not like a magic carpet, you still feel lots of the road surface on 20's (245/40/20) tyres

just my opinion

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I managed to get my B14's from Vanstyle last year when they were running a 10% off deal.
Van rides great even on 20's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bilstein B14's are overpriced. However when they are fitted to a T5 they become excellent value for money immediately after the first corner:)

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
250 Posts
B14's here as well, totally different vehicle (as in better) no wobble when cornering, much quieter smoother ride even in derbyshires uneven surfaces, and this is on standard snowflake's. Hoping it's going to be better tomorrow when I put my new tonal 18"aero and hankook onT:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good luck buying coil overs for your van

It does not use any.
I think people use the term coilover as they don't understand the set up and it's just a generic description although the front struts and springs are what could be described as coilover the rear definitely isnt.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Peolpe probably call them coilovers as they are sold as coilovers by the retailers!

Incorrect technically perhaps but that's how they are described.

I'm also watching with interest, looking to get the best comfort I can with a small drop and improve on my Sportlines, can't decide between H&R and B14s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need to change as well but got 22's, so will I be wasting money like someone mentioned because the ride won't be great anyway ?

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Clearly there's expensive and there's expensive.

A full set of B14s with springs is about £1100. A set of stock spec Bilsteins (which they sell millions of!) without springs are £250

A set of Nitron or Ohlins adjustables without springs are about £2-3000

A set of Proflex shocks for a clubman rally car are about £8000 (that was 10 years ago TBH)

Given that the Bilsteins clearly work well it sounds like they're a bargain to me. There's no snobbery if they work well. They'll probably be my next upgrade.

Buy cheap, buy twice... I'm old enough to have learned that now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some great responses and advice on here and much appreciated guys
It's looking like B14 Bilstein is gonna be the final solution..... Now where has that money tree gone...???

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts