VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently bought a 2007 SWB 2.5TDI 130 T30 and one of the (many) things I want to upgrade is the suspension. It's not too bad as standard but I've come from a history of small nippy hatchbacks and want to try and improve the handling as much as I can without compromising too much on the comfort as my previous cars gave the missus travel sickness... not sure it was my driving as she didn't suffer in her own car. :*

Anyway... the van has done 105k which has made me move away from just getting lowering springs as I'm not sure the shox would last too long. It is currently setup as a kombi and in time there are plans to maybe go the full campervan conversion route. In the meantime tho we will be using it to go camping so my main question is this...

Will I have any problems with ride height, etc. if I fit coilovers when I go camping?

Some of the sites can be fields on uneven ground so I don't want it to be an obstacle because my suspension won't cope. I guess the beauty of coilovers is the adjustable ride height so my next question would be... how long can I go without compromising our camping capabilities?

Really appreciate any help with this, complete newbie.

Cheers,

Daipac

·
Registered
487 Posts
I go camping all the time, don't have a conversion yet but carry so much stuff and towing a jetski and I never had a problem. Don't worry about it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jetmanjay, very much appreciate your reply. I am looking at the CMCs at the moment so that is a great help. How low are you setup? Be good to know what can of ride height I can get away with. Is the ride much improved over stock? Don't want it to be harsh.

Thanks again.

Daipac

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have -60 mm Merseyspeed springs on my camper converted 130.
I have not put a front spoiler on as I drag my front bumper on some of the sites we go on and I can't now get my waste water container under the drain pipe for the sink ?

You just have to be careful if you go off road with a low van.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks T55555, I do have the lower spoiler on the front so like you say I'll need to be careful on some sites.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've got CMC's all the way down and with a bigally chin, I need to be careful with kerbs so just be careful in a field, its not low like a sports car though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts