VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all............

I know this has been discussed before pros and cons etc.........

And the general consensus has been that the standard airbox is good for up to 200bhp....

Few things have made me wonder of late though.........

I was reading on a Jap car tuning website a comparison test with different cold air induction systems, this was an independent test with rolling road results and there was proven bhp gains over standard.................

Also reading about forge motorsports new scirroco show car and there new forge Twintake system, again impressive bhp gains over standard airbox (without remap)

Again looking through VW Performance mags nearly all tuned vws have some kind of Cold air custom filter system (I know some is engine dressing) but there claimed BHP fiqures speak for themselves.....................

So opening this one up again for debate what do we all think??????

(PS Have been given a Pieprcross Viper system to fit) so will let you know how it feels............

·
6,678 Posts
Charge air cooling works.

But you need to do it right. the charged air needs to be well below ambient in order to work well. I think its all boyles law stuff.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charge air cooling works.

But you need to do it right. the charged air needs to be well below ambient in order to work well. I think its all boyles law stuff.
charge air cooling is your intercooler air/air air/water etc , boyles laws has to do with volume vs pressure ie the if you push the plunger down on a bicycle pump you decrease the volume of the pump chamber thus increasing the pressure of the air and vice versa pull the plunger back invcrease the volume decrease the air pressure................

boyles law could be applied to Ram air induction..... but the speed at which the vehicle needs to be moving in order to create the ram air effect and get the necassary PSI, wouldnt be that applicable to me van.....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what i have read the intake temps on a TDI dont warrant a Water charge cooler.....

cold air induction ie K&N 57i piper cross induction systems BMC CDA etc etc

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have read all the do's and donts as far as std airbox v's induction kits, but am sure my van when i first got it before any other mods pulled a lot cleaner/better with the 57i kit fitted so it stayed.
But i guess it depends what you prefer!

·
Registered
589 Posts
going by what my brother and I have done on our TDI golfs I'm trying to find a way to do it on the T4 but its proving slightly difficult.

We got a length of 80mm ducting and drilled an 80mm hole in the front side of the airbox and routed the duct past the battery down past the headlight and moved the horn bracket (with a persuader) so the duct comes up to the lower front grill vent.

Not only does it make acceleration a lot smoother through out the rev range but also makes a lovely sound - this was with a K&N replacement panel filter

Trying to get it on the T4 is slighty more difficult due to the wheel arch being below. :(

Any idea on that would be great!! :ILU:

·
Registered
229 Posts
cold air induction is all to do, with the thermal cycle of the engine, i.e. the colder the intake the higher the thermal effiency of the cycle.

simply put, this is due to the fact cold air can compress and therefore expand more than ambiant or warm air. this therefore gives a little more bang for the same amount of fuel burnt as essentially with a cold charge there is a bigger expansion coefficent which in turn gives a better thermal effiency.

i would have thought a much higher gain in hp, would be had with a cold charge with forced induction, over a no forced cold charge. infact the engine might struggle to breath thru an intercooler without forced induction (i.e. a turbo)

all an induction kit does, is allow the engine to breath more freely and get a little more air in the engine, will give a small increase in hp but not a great deal. also will be noising as you hear the induction bark. the standard intakes are not just breathers they also muffel the shock wave produced as the manifold sucks on intake stroke.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im going to give it a try, very interested in the twintake systems that forge motorsport have been using very impressive genuine power gains on their new scirroco and also SWG have a sweet twinintake system for the Golf G60, seems to make sense twic the available air = More power!

would be nice to get van on rolling road and post some fiqures of various systems etc.....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so my physics aint what it used to be.

From all the TDI boys on TDIclub, they preffer the stock box.

Regarding charge air - Check the blurb on the celica, they have charge coolers nad rave about them. Tim a friend of mine fits them and rates them too.

check this for some BG info,

http://www.autospeed.com/A_107760/cms/article.html
Had a read of this makes good reading.................

makes me think if you cool the intake air with the icy cold air from an air con unit:confused:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts

makes me think if you cool the intake air with the icy cold air from an air con unit:confused:
seen a couple of 800 brake skylines doing runs at santa pod,as they were lining up to do a run guys were spraying the intercooler with fire extinguishers to cool them

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah Co2...............

I could get me wife to hang of the bonnet giving the IC a squirt when i want to overtake................................LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
670 Posts

Air con sounds good, but then how do you power the air con? any gains in engine BHP will be eaten by the air con pump, whether directly driven or electrically via the alternator.

I had a cheap hire car in the states, drove from Vegas to L.A. - every time I wanted to overtake, Tracy had to press the power boost button - the air con OFF switch!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Air con sounds good, but then how do you power the air con? any gains in engine BHP will be eaten by the air con pump, whether directly driven or electrically via the alternator.

I had a cheap hire car in the states, drove from Vegas to L.A. - every time I wanted to overtake, Tracy had to press the power boost button - the air con OFF switch!
Yep more a Tongue in cheek Plan...................

Nitrous is the quick fix..................................LOL:LOL:LOL:

Allthough the Holset turbo sitting on the bench is the way forward...............

P.s keep an eye on the for sale section little treats coming up for sale soon:ILU:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The cooler the gas (in this case air) the denser it becomes. When a gas becomes more dense, the gaps between the molecules (and atoms) decreases, which means that for a given volume, the “amount” of the gas is greater.

In this case this means that a given volume of air will have give oxygen atoms in it, and there will therefore be better combustion.

A turbo or supercharger does a similar thing, except the turbo increase the amount of oxygen by increasing the pressure and therefore the volume of air forced into the cylinder.

Both methods increase the number of oxygen atoms but by changing different parameters in the equitation PV = nRT.

Please bare in mind that the last time I did any of this gas law stuff was at uni about 12 years ago, so any inaccuracies should be attributed to beer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts