VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEED HELP Cold Start issue on my 2004 2.5 TDI

I have just bought a T5 2.5 tdi 2004 it’s got 218k miles full service history had a new camshaft and water pump at 190k and serviced at 212k miles last. When I bought it I drove it 5 hours home with no problems it started first time and pulls well in all gears. Over the last few weeks I have been going to start it from cold but it takes at least 10 secs sometimes to start once it started it runs fine with no smoke mad will start the first turn of the key when warm. Has anybody had a similar problem with theirs?
Advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It would be worth elimating the glow plugs, battery, starter and main starter motor earth first. On the 2.5 it's easiest to use diagnostics to identify any faulty glow plugs because physical access is a problem. If you are sure the engine cranking speed is perfect try parking with the front downhill or adding a non-return valve as miloslo says. If that helps, it proves only that it is a fuel problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It would be worth elimating the glow plugs, battery, starter and main starter motor earth first. On the 2.5 it's easiest to use diagnostics to identify any faulty glow plugs because physical access is a problem. If you are sure the engine cranking speed is perfect try parking with the front downhill or adding a non-return valve as miloslo says. If that helps, it proves only that it is a fuel problem.
Hi LeeDee,
Have you had experience of this fault yourself? I only ask as I wondered if you could remember what you did to rectify it and if it was just a NRV that was needed, what size did you get and was it definitely on the tank feed that you fitted it.
As per usual, I’m experiencing exactly the same symptoms and have parked her bum up and since doing so, she fires up straightaway.
Thank you and kind regards,

Andi

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, I’m such a fool at times. You’re not LeedeeVW, you’re T5 TDI. 🥴👍🏻🤪

·
Registered
9 Posts
NEED HELP Cold Start issue on my 2004 2.5 TDI

I have just bought a T5 2.5 tdi 2004 it’s got 218k miles full service history had a new camshaft and water pump at 190k and serviced at 212k miles last. When I bought it I drove it 5 hours home with no problems it started first time and pulls well in all gears. Over the last few weeks I have been going to start it from cold but it takes at least 10 secs sometimes to start once it started it runs fine with no smoke mad will start the first turn of the key when warm. Has anybody had a similar problem with theirs?
Advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
Hi LeedeeVW,

Did you get your van sorted? And if so, how?

cheers,

Andi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi LeedeeVW,

Did you get your van sorted? And if so, how?

cheers,

Andi
Hi Andijoe14

Yes I had the problem fixed. It required the injectors reconditioned and new boars, I also had new camshaft and intercooler she has been starting first time every time now
Regards
Lee

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a starting issue, exactly the same as described, but mine is time based. The longer I leave it, the harder it is to start. I’ve had a non return valve fitted but it’s made no difference! I have a leak on the HPFP but that looks like oil not diesel. Just had a new turbo, intercooler, DPF and the blooming thing still throws up a coil light most journeys. It’s done 203k and I’m thinking injectors or HP fuel pump or leaky Pipes somewhere. Is a rebuild on the HPFP relatively easy? or do I just get a new one as I am now several thousands into it?
Also where do folks in Lincolnshire get their injectors rebuilt?
cheers all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts