VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me wot the cold start leaver does as i've just notest my cable is stretched and does nothing at all could this be my starting problem ? Help

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I always use it and keep on till gauge is half way to running temp. Van runs better for it especially
in this cold :*

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Never need to use it .. even at -15 c . But , my van is almost as factory , 93-4.. !! Injector pump never been off , I,ve had it since July, 94 . Whether your engine is happier using it , or not , is ,I feel down to the history of your particular vehicle ..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Never need to use it .. even at -15 c . But , my van is almost as factory , 93-4.. !! Injector pump never been off , I,ve had it since July, 94 . Whether your engine is happier using it , or not , is ,I feel down to the history of your particular vehicle ..
Dont know that its down to history of vehicle. Mines a one prev. owner 120000 miles full history.
Just runs better with it on for a while. But they all vary I suppose.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
So many things can come into the equasion , but all I know , is mine,s never failed me , yet , if the pump had been off , I suppose it could be a different response .. !!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I always use it and keep on till gauge is half way to running temp. Van runs better for it especially
in this cold :*
This T:

VW specify in the manual to use it every time the engine is started form cold. Not just when the weather is cold. And yes, many people never use it or only once in a while, but I figure if VW say to do it, then why not do it. Obviously you need to fix yours first mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noticed you from North cumbria just wondering where you take your van for repairs as i'm in Carlisle

·
Registered
555 Posts
This T:

VW specify in the manual to use it every time the engine is started form cold. Not just when the weather is cold. And yes, many people never use it or only once in a while, but I figure if VW say to do it, then why not do it. Obviously you need to fix yours first mind.
Yup thats what I read as well. It gets pulled out and starts straight away, then after a min it gets knocked off. If I try to start with out it I get a whole load of white smoke as the engine chugs and knocks and isnt half as smooth

·
Registered
104 Posts
throttle to the floor, turn her over then pull lever out works for my 189k engine which has had very little in the way of servicing for most of its life...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts