VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a or possibly a few issues with my '04 2.5TDI 130 T5 and thought I'd share my thoughts as having read quite a bit on here from similar issues I feel my findings may help others, and of course I welcome anyone else's thoughts on the matter.

The symptoms are as follows:

- lumpy/laboured start particularly on cold days, rev's lumpy for 1-2mins after startup
- belch of white/blue smoke on startup, fading gradually but not going away completely
- engine oil in the turbo return pipe (not getting any worse or better, just 'there')
- regular, sharp tapping noise from top end of the engine, audible more when top air flow pipe is removed.

It's going in to a local garage to have the head stripped and inspected soon, and I'll have a look with the VCDS kit as soon as I get it.

My thoughts on possible causes/issues, based largely on others' input:

1) Cam wear - I know the 2.5TDI has been known to suffer from premature cam wear
2) Lifters/valve washers damaged - possible?
3) Injectors leaky - damaged or badly seated
4) additionally there may be an issue with the turbo - no turbine whine as of yet so I'm hoping the oil is just left over from previous work.

When I get it into the garage I will post more information, and hopefully I can take some pictures with the head off and I know what the issue is for sure and what the solution is. I hope this helps.

If anyone else has any ideas/comments/suggestions please do post!

All the best, Brendan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right, after a couple of weeks in the garage I have some answers and some more problems! I've not been able to get over and take photographs but I am hoping to get the van back tomorrow so will post some then hopefully.

The cam had definite wear on the first two lobes, with a small amount of wear on the others. (the chamfer on the edges of the lobes was completely gone).

Secondly the two of the lifters were worn almost completely through.

Thirdly, there was a very very slight amount of wear in the injector bore in the head.

So, a new camshaft kit from LEC and new valve seals (South Hereford VW) have gone in and the mechanic road tested it yesterday... only to find it had developed a misfire under load and eventually cut out.

It now appears that the connectors on the injector loom are vibrating loose. I am not able to confirm this myself but hopefully he (the mechanic) is right and this will solve the issue. From having done a lot of reading on here and elsewhere I think it is entirely possible that this was actually the major issue all along, along with the cam wear, but I am not an experienced mechanic so happy to be corrected.

In case it helps I will outline the current costs as they stand:

Labour:

Take front end off, strip engine down to inspect cam £250
Fit new camshaft and replace injector seals £150
Re-fit top end of engine and front end £250

Parts:

New Camshaft kit from Lymm Engine Components £230
New injector seals, tandem pump gasket, timing caps, coolant £187.50
Injector Wiring Loom £100 (estimate)

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Them plugs on the injector are a pain to get off at the best of times so if they have vibrated loose then it's possible they weren't clicked together.
If the lobes have only worn on the first two lobes then I would be checking oil delivery to that part of the cam, as if it is reduced oil then the new camshaft won't last long :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Festa - I will inform the mechanic.

He seems honest enough, and has a 'mate' who's a master technician at the local main dealer helping him out, so I'm hoping these are all issues that are combining to form one big problem!

The start up issue is sorted and the smoke has all but stopped, however having fitted the new injector wiring loom the mechanic is now saying that that was not the issue! Basically there is an unwanted vibration causing the injector loom connectors to wiggle loose, causing a misfire under load. He seems to think the new camshaft may either be wrong or faulty.

If the new camshaft is to blame seems I'll still have to fork out for the labour to fit a new one, and the new stretch bolts, again!

Festa could the new camshaft have been damaged just by running the vehicle for a short while?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone every had any issues with Lymm Engine Components Camshaft kit? It appears to be the same cam that Darkside offer.

On my Invoice for the cam it says 'GT1058041 - SXD BNZ 2.5 TDi 5CYL CAM'

My mechanic called to ask them (LEC), saying that the AXD and BNZ cams are different and this seemed to be news to them - I'm wondering if they've sent the wrong cam (no answer just yet).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Simon at LEC was very helpful indeed and has offered to refund the cost of the camshaft (less bolts etc.) based only on my mechanic's word. Further he has offered to send the cam off to the manufacturers for testing, and promised that they will pay the labour costs etc. if it is proven defective.

Long story short - I've now just got to have faith that my mechanic is correct or face £900 of costs to get me back more or less to square1!

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i hope that camshaft is for a BNZ as they sold me the same one for mine...

They said to my mechanic that it was news to them that the two are different. However when I spoke to them personally they said they check before sending it out, so I'm not sure who to believe! There is a code on the end of the cam which I believe should end in a p for axd engines and a q for bnz engines. I hope yours goes OK Stephen, I'd be interested to know if yours does have a different code and when fitted if all is well

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Well this was sold to me only late last year and im having cold start issues and goes into limp mode on a cold morning....

I replaced whole head and every possible seal... I Hope theyve sold me the right head!?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
They said to my mechanic that it was news to them that the two are different. However when I spoke to them personally they said they check before sending it out, so I'm not sure who to believe! There is a code on the end of the cam which I believe should end in a p for axd engines and a q for bnz engines. I hope yours goes OK Stephen, I'd be interested to know if yours does have a different code and when fitted if all is well
Im supposedly re-doing the timing on the engine next week so please let me know if theyve sold you the wrong cam as they probs have for mine, if so i might aswell put the right cam back in,,, which end of the cam is the letter stamped...

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Thats the part number I have on the two camshaft boxes I have in my man cave for two engines :* part no:- gt1058041.
The other code thats on the box is 070109101p and that cross referances to VW 2.5 tdi engine codes AXD AXE BLJ BAC BLK. VW TOUAREG 2.5

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Well this was sold to me only late last year and im having cold start issues and goes into limp mode on a cold morning....

I replaced whole head and every possible seal... I Hope theyve sold me the right head!?

8041 is an AXD,AXE cam, they should of sold you the 8086.
If you look at the link I posted earlier you will see the mistake.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
He could possibly use the camshaft if he gets it mapped as an axd/axe even though the injectors could be a bit small they maybe ok for the gtb based turbo

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Yeah i looked martin, ill double check the number on the end of the cam at the wknd and post back. I spoke to festa about it and he suggested what he posted above so depending on what cam i have ill speak to the mappers and it may save having to replace the cam as i have no dpf anyway, could be light at the end of the tunnel, fingers crossed....

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Im going to speak to the mapper first and if it can be sorted that way, then ill ring simon and will mention your phone call Martin. Will update as soon as i have answers..

. I wonder how 'woodenwealth' has got on as if he has his dpf hes gonna need the right cam in...

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Im going to speak to the mapper first and if it can be sorted that way, then ill ring simon and will mention your phone call Martin. Will update as soon as i have answers..

. I wonder how 'woodenwealth' has got on as if he has his dpf hes gonna need the right cam in...
When do you get your starting issues?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts