VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was driving today and went over a speed bump, there was a huge bang like a balloon going pop and when i stopped the front drivers side has dropped down so the wheel is now in the arch.

Immediately thought shocker but when i checked i was expecting to see it shortened due to the weight of the van on it but it looks the same length as on the passenger side. There is no damping whatsoever on that corner now.

Is there anything else that could go bang like that.

I managed to drive it home and steering was fine. Had to dodge potholes and manholes as definitely no suspension on that corner.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Also if its the shocker or anything else for that matter how easy is it to replace.

Need to try to fix this today as i need it for work on monday if possible.

Cheers in advance.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Could be the torsion bar mounting bolt has jumped out! :(
You need it "in the air" to get under and check.

You'll be driving on the rubber bump stop now, if that is the case.

Doubt you'll fix it in a day...often takes a week of PlusGas just to free the nut up!
Even more difficult if the top is no longer secured, as it will just turn the shaft.
Numerous jack, in various places, may allow you to get it back into it's slot.

IF it's an old van (hint: always put year and type, engine etc), it could even be the mounting has broken :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,

I didn't have a tape to hand so used my lighter to check length and it looks like its the shocker. On damaged side its about 40mm or so shorter so guess that's my problem.

Off to fix it now. Hope all the bolts undo nicely.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Sorry...but even with NO shocker fitted, suspension shouldn't sag.
It's a "shock absorber" (actually the American term "Damper" is more accurate).
The height of the suspension is governed by the torsion bars at the front, and the springs at the back.

If your shock "looks" shorter, it's simply because you have NO SUSPENSION working.

You could remove ALL FOUR shocks, and still drive at normal height.....but you'd bounce more than the Duracell Bunny!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Cheers guys,

I didn't have a tape to hand so used my lighter to check length and it looks like its the shocker. On damaged side its about 40mm or so shorter so guess that's my problem.

Off to fix it now. Hope all the bolts undo nicely.
Guessing t4:*

the damper / shock-absorber will shorten when the suspension is compressed OR collapsedA:

The (front) torsion-bar will have either snapped (uncommon) or it's adjuster-bolt as either ripped-away from the chassis (yup, t4's do rust!LOL: ) or the bolt & it's anchor-plate have turned so dropping away from the chassis-section (again, also worth checking for rustI: )

Rich.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
longfox

What Rich said.

HE gets his hands dirtier than me...I just read everything posted (even some of his garbage Rasp:)

As he "subtly" pointed out....we're assuming it's a T4 I:
Van type/engine/etc should always be the first line you type.
Becoming more common for T5 peeps to ask in the T4 section now......and don't know the difference.
There is a reason for that though....they actually BOUGHT a T5:jmpg

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Guessing it's still light enough to work outside in "Shropshire".......
It will be light enough here until midnight, and then a little dark until 2am.

HOPE longfox will come back and tell us what he found out......T:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought ‘damper’ was British terminology.
Regardless whoever came up with the term ‘shock absorber’ to describe dampers is a complete numpty.
The spring is the component that absorbs shock and therefore is THE ‘shock absorber’.
The damper controls (dampens) the spring oscillation.

Sorry...but even with NO shocker fitted, suspension shouldn't sag.
It's a "shock absorber" (actually the American term "Damper" is more accurate).
The height of the suspension is governed by the torsion bars at the front, and the springs at the back.

If your shock "looks" shorter, it's simply because you have NO SUSPENSION working.

You could remove ALL FOUR shocks, and still drive at normal height.....but you'd bounce more than the Duracell Bunny!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys,

Sorry for delay in replying. Far too much going on.

Firstly its a 2002 T4 2.5tdi 102bhp on standrd suspension. i.e. not lowered

Update is not good. Put new shocker on today and as you all pointed out it is still same. Proper check over and i discovered that Hybid800 got it right. Torsion bar has snapped under the fuel tank. Uncommon maybe but just my luck it got me! Not something i would ever have thought to check.

Its pretty amazing really that such a substantial piece of metal bar would snap like that. It went just as i went over one of those speed humps you straddle in the road. I was doing about 25mph so not as if i hit with any force.

Looks a nightmare to replace and i need the van back asap for work so question is how easy is it to fix? Looks pretty time consuming to me and thats one thing i don't have, so if anyone knows someone good around Telford then i'm all ears.

I'm under it with work and need it to keep the guys going so looks like a garage or mechanic and a hire van for a few days while it gets fixed.

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
1st time I've heard about a broken torsion bar.....but I'll remember it for anyone else that has questions.

Not a "nightmare" to replace, but you do need the van "in the air" to do it!
Not a "do it on the drive" with a jack I don't think.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Torsion bar has snapped under the fuel tank.

Its pretty amazing really that such a substantial piece of metal bar would snap like that.

Looks a nightmare to replace
the torsion-bar is fixed to the front-suspension's top wishbone with a 2 bolt flange, this is visable from under the wheelarch. the rear of the torsion-bar is 'pivoted' at the rear of the fuel tank and has a 'crank-arm' that (is actually mounted on a spline) connects to the tensioning-bolt.

it's possible that the torsion-bar can be drawn backwards over the fuel tank & it's replacement fed through in place? otherwise dropping the fuel tank is easy enoughT:

I'd say a few hours work that can be done with a good trolley-jack & axle-stands :*

Rich.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts