VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all how much roughly should I expect to pay for colour coding my t5.1 bumpers front and rear, and also the wing mirror covers and all the door handles ?
2012 t5.1 in reflex silver !
Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
You may know this already but if you have commercial black bumpers these will require filling and sanding before painting and I've been told the finish is never as good as buying painted bumpers, and the cost not that different. I will probably try and buy pre-primed or used and get them painted when I come to do this.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,237 Posts
Mirrors ... Dead simple to do so should be cheap
Textured Bumpers ... As said, find painted bumpers (or just buy new ones) and get them resprayed to your colour (in fact, Silver is most common so likely can find right ones). Work involved in sorting out textured ones is a nightmare.
Door Handles ... likely can buy new ready-painted ones for same cost as removing, painting and refitting.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
lol, Silver is NOT common, its the hardest of ll the colors to find anything but junk.

The proper way to get a commercial bumper done is lots of prep smoothing the finish and paint prep, work and additives, and then it will possibly last, the cheap way is just thick filler primer on the textured finish and it may last a couple of years if youre lucky.

The problem is 2 fold, firstly its VW secondly its a Transporter, so almost everything is overpriced junk on ebay which for any other make would be worthless, but you can thank too many starry eyed fools paying too much for this privilege.

Most painted commercial bumpers on ebay fall into the badly prepped and failing junk category, the remainder are knackered caravelle items.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paid £800 for bumper and mirror painting also included supply paint and fitting of rear spoiler. Still looking good after 4 years.
Ray*<:)>

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the replies will keep a look out for genuine painted ones and get the smaller bits done ! Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had mine done for £400 inc mirrors and other bits. Brilliant job but their first attempt was horrendous and I waited for months.

Plenty of info on prep if you wanted to do that and take to a cheap sprayer.

My back-up and given the craap i went through maybe should've been first choice were as below.

Researched them and obviously know what they are doing. Decent road network around there.

http://www.hinckleybodywrx.co.uk/transporters

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Hi all how much roughly should I expect to pay for colour coding my t5.1 bumpers front and rear, and also the wing mirror covers and all the door handles ?
2012 t5.1 in reflex silver !
Cheers
I had my colour coding done (bumpers front and rear and mirror covers) in reflex silver by Spitfire Garage Southampton 2 years ago and it cost £540 inc, they had a stand at a local caravan show and I was impressed with the stages they went through to paint the commercial bumpers.

I am still very happy with the work done two years later, they also supplied me a courtesy car while they did the work. T:

I have no affiliation with them, but I would recommend them in an instant.

http://spitfiregarage.co.uk/

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to pick up second hand reflex silver bumpers and door handles off eBay ! Not cheap but easy to swap over at least !

Now just need the tailgate handle and rear number plate trim thing in silver too !

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I managed to get s/h handles off ebay, and a paintable modified rear barn door trim off van-x.

Ive been trying to get decent reflex silver front bumpers off ebay for over 2 years, ive all but given up! All I ever see is junk advertised for hundreds its a joke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts