VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following re-furbishing my wheels, which i'm chuffed with (will post up some pics at some stage) I've decided to colour code my door mirors & bumpers.
Started with the passenger mirror & although i'm pleased with the general finish, i'm a bit disappointed with the colour match :(
I used Holts dupli-color Flash Red over a red primer but it's more browny/orangey than the original paint work. It shows up more than in the photo.
Any one had a similar experience? I've just ordered some custom spray cans from www.paints4u.com & will try these to see if the match is better.
Could it be that the primer has in some way bled through to the top-coat? I left it overnight to dry (about 14 hours). Whatdyareckon? :confused:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Billy, thanks for the comments, I welcome any fedback good or bad :D . I *thought* i'd built it up using light coats, however I am a complete novice will try harder next time T:
I used a red plastic primer to start, then a yellow primer filler (is that a good idea?) as I thought it may give a smoother finish to the plastic, then a red primer, flash red 2 stage top coat & finally a couple of coats of lacquer.
I think i'll have a go at the driver's mirror next, perhaps with a white primer & see if that's any better.
I'm sort of resigned to the fact that i'm not gonna get professional results, but if i can get a reasonable finish & a good colour match then i'll be happy :)
I'm hoping that once I can T-cut & polish them the finish will be better.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
121 Posts
I assume you lacquered them?. A gentle wet sand between lacquer coats is good(1200 wet & dry with soapy water is good). & meguiars scratch X is a good way to get a final sparkle to the lacquer top coat & some decent paste wax.

I imagine the colour is darker than you wanted because of the undercoat....what does it recommend?. SOme paints have a recommended under coat colour printed on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Simon, yep I think I may have gone wrong on the primer. I assumed that as it was red paint it would need red primer. The can just says I should refer to the colour guide which I don't have. I'm just about to experiment on some old black plastic with a white primer & red top coat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys, i think i've got better results with the driver's side.
I used a white primer - thanks BillyBus - T: Although i have now found that the recommended primer colour is red. Just goes to show that you Forum boys know more than Halfords A:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Billy,
I'm learning all the time. I've done the bumpers now & although I sanded the plastic first, I used a paper that was too rough & ended up using the primer filler to fill the scratches LOL:
I'm really pleased with the end result though.
:ILU:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers again Billy,
New water pump & Cam belts today :*
pump + both belts + tensioners ect & lubricating/adjusting my gear linkage (so I can now go backwards & forwards) £484 .. is that good?
A lot of money i know, but seems really good for what they've done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
van looks fantastic dude A: Did you do your bumpers with spray cans too?
And was the paint all from paints4u? Sorry for the questions just ive been so close to doing mine a few times but chickened out. cheers Rich..

·
Registered
800 Posts
well done fellaA:

been thinking and thinking about doing my mirrors myself.....worried about getting the colour right.....its a white van but a 10 year old white van! dont wanna end up with shocking white mirrors on a white ish van......where can i get the right colour paint from???

what paper to sand the plastic???

cheers mb

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
van looks fantastic dude A: Did you do your bumpers with spray cans too?
And was the paint all from paints4u? Sorry for the questions just ive been so close to doing mine a few times but chickened out. cheers Rich..
Hi Rich,
I'm glad I bit the bullet. I'm a total novice so probably not the best to give advice but IMHO it ain't that difficult. My advice would be ... 1. spend double the time on it you would expect. 2. Put plenty of primer on & sand between coats.
I was lucky that the weather was really good & i did it all outside. I used plastic primer, then primer filler (spray cans). I bought the colour spray from paints4u but didn't use it only because i had taken the bumpers off to prime & left the Velle with a mate who sprayed the wheel-arches for me. Just before I started the top coat , he rang me to say he had paint left & he would use it on the bumpers ... which he did. I'm quite glad really although all the graft is in the priming & sanding.
Good luck if you have a go ...Go for it i say T:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well done fellaA:

been thinking and thinking about doing my mirrors myself.....worried about getting the colour right.....its a white van but a 10 year old white van! dont wanna end up with shocking white mirrors on a white ish van......where can i get the right colour paint from???

what paper to sand the plastic???

cheers mb
paints4u.com
You may need to T-cut your existing paint to get the colour back.
From memory I think I used a 600 grit for the plastic. if you can see scratches forming , it's too course! But you can always primer/filler over the scratches & sand them down til they're gone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the mirrors and the bumper look mint. how long did you spend sanding and prepping them to get that finish?
Cheers! Thanks for the compliments :)
I reckon around 6 hours each bumper (perhaps 16hrs in total). I must have used around 16 x 400ml cans though :eek: Luckily I'm fairly close to Trago Mills so it didn't cost a fortune.
As I said before, the week I did it was really warm & dry & it really helped. Wouldn't fancy doing it this week or in a confined garage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts