VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been getting colour coding quotes recently and there seems to be the difference of about £200 between rough and smooth finished. I cant however find any examples of the difference. Would anyone be able to explain it? or even have photos, Its going to be on a Danish Blue van if it maeks a difference.

The logic appears to be - remove the bumper for smooth finish, leave it on for rough finish..

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think it is more to do with the rubbing down, to get the bumpers smooth.....I left mine rough as the painter was looking at £300 extra for smooth....and to be honest it looks fine,

If you search under my profile for paint job you will see a picture...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello mate,before paint they plastic prime ,then if they use high build prime x3 coats then 2x colour then 3x clear they will be smooth anyway mate ,hope this helps ,as rubbing down takes bloody ages lol

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hello,

I have been getting colour coding quotes recently and there seems to be the difference of about £200 between rough and smooth finished. I cant however find any examples of the difference. Would anyone be able to explain it? or even have photos, Its going to be on a Danish Blue van if it maeks a difference.

The logic appears to be - remove the bumper for smooth finish, leave it on for rough finish..

Phone up my man that does all my work 01202 581580 nights body worksT:

·
Registered
561 Posts
talk to mersey parts. great guys, very helpful.

See the note above, it's not about rubbing down, it's about deep fill primer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi mate , I colour code and smooth bumpers , firstly I will sand a lot of the fine dimples off of the plastic and fill any major scratches then I plastic prime them with a dupont 800r then 2pack high build at least 3 coats then sand primer back before applying colour. It's is very time consuming to do right but looks awesome when bumpers back on vanA:. I also fit slot of spoilers to bottom of bumpers aswell

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
2 ways to colour code bumpers

First one involves just spraying a coat of high build primer then spraying colour straight over the top. The texture on T5 bumpers isn't very deep so the primer will fill the texture and will look ok, but you'll still be able to see the texture if you look closely.

The second way is to spray high build primer, let it dry and then flat the whole bumper so it is 100% smooth. Advantage is 100% smooth bumpers, but is very labour intensive hence the extra cost - be aware of people charging top money but being lazty and doing the first option.

Personally the second one is the proper way to do it and will look better.

But it also depends on the colour of your van - if it's white or a lighter solid colour then it will most probably look great but if your van is metallic, silver or a dark colour like black then go for the second option as metallic paints don't cover aswell plus black is very reflective and shows up everything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts