VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly, colour coding is a popular choice and theres not many modded vans who havent had their bumpers and bits painted.

I've got textured bumpers front and rear but I would very much like them colour coded to match the van.

Having spoken to 3 body shops locally, all 3 mentioned that they couldnt guarantee their work on these bumpers, even if they were smoothed prior to paint.

How many of you have had textured bumpers coded and how long have you had them? If so, how are they faring?

I'm a bit gutted that I might now have to source some caravelle or kombi bumpers because I quite liked the commercial shape. Any ideas on where I might get some primed smooth bumpers other than evilbay?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Any good body shop should be able to get a very good finish on a textured bumper - maybe not 100% perfect and they may worry about contaminatin from scilicone etc, but with the correct prep it should be no problem......however there are plenty of flaking T5 bumpers out there where painters dont do the correct prep etc, so choose your sprayer carefully.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Any good body shop should be able to get a very good finish on a textured bumper - maybe not 100% perfect and they may worry about contaminatin from scilicone etc, but with the correct prep it should be no problem......however there are plenty of flaking T5 bumpers out there where painters dont do the correct prep etc, so choose your sprayer carefully.
Exactly what he said. Any that are flaking usually poor prep or miss use of jet wash at close range T:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi we Detexture the bumpers and paint them to a high standard and we have never had one come back .
Its all about the preparation to be honest .
Some people are not using platic primer (due to cost) false economy as the first chip and the thing flakes

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
we have painted countless commercial bumpers with no trouble whatsoever T:T: that said I have worked on plenty that have been painted which are dreadful

ask people who have had this work carried out for their recommendations in your area

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Any bodyshop that can't guarantee painted bumpers isn't worth using, I've colour coded loads if plastic bumpers and have never had one come back. The process is very labour intensive which is why some body shops don't like doing them, others just don't know how to do them properly......avoid avoid avoid anyone who says that colour coded bumpers crack because they are talking out of their bottom!!

1. Key up with red scotch and panel wipe. Panel wipe cleans bumpers aswell as helping scotchbrite bite.
2. I rub very lightly with 80 grit although some don't, any deep scratches will be flatted out so no bother.
3. Plastic prime
4. High build prime with flexi additive
5. Guide coat and flat with 800 to remove texture
6. Paint (+ flexi additive)
Job done T:

·
Registered
541 Posts
going to get it done in septermber,,both back and front and,mirrors in white,,, went to one place and he wanted £1300,,,, :eek:
went 500 yards from my house and he wants between 250 and 300,,, thats more like it, guess where im going T:

think the first guy was trying it on,, idiot :*

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
going to get it done in septermber,,both back and front and,mirrors in white,,, went to one place and he wanted £1300,,,, :eek:
went 500 yards from my house and he wants between 250 and 300,,, thats more like it, guess where im going T:

think the first guy was trying it on,, idiot :*
Seems too cheap, make sure they are flatting out the texture rather than just filling it with primer then spraying straight over the top as the texture will still be visible. I'd expect to pay £400, the amount of work required is alot to do a proper job.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea all rubbed down not just sprayed on,, i went trough this with him, will take him about a week he said,, but like he said its not just my van hes got he will do a few so thats why the price is right. If its just one hes sat a round watching paint dry.
think the other guy was just tring it on,, T:

·
Registered
524 Posts
yea all rubbed down not just sprayed on,, i went trough this with him, will take him about a week he said,, but like he said its not just my van hes got he will do a few so thats why the price is right. If its just one hes sat a round watching paint dry.
think the other guy was just tring it on,, T:
Thats rubbish mate, im a painter and there is no way a painter would smooth T5 textured bumpers and paint them for under £300, either he's going to primer fill them and paint or he has never done this to a T5 before.
Front and rear bumpers would take atleast 5-7 hours just to sand them, the grill's and inserts are what takes the longest.

·
Registered
541 Posts
well ill let you lot that seem to know better,,,if that is rubbish,,, when i get them done,, deffinatly not worth £1300, he has a lot of cars/vans in and hes been there for 20/od years, so i sould think and hope he knows what hes doing,, but like i said ill let you know.
as fro CALIIBRERICH, you think this is rubbish because your a (painter) is that a car/van body sprayer, or just a brush hand? bit of a differance i think, :*

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We all want you to have nicely painted bumpers - just saying be wary of cheap prices. It is labour intensive to do properly and short cuts can be taken. We must have colour coded over a 100 vans now, people ring and say my mate can do it for this and that much..... we usually see them again in 6 months. Good luck though mate, fingers crossed you've got lucky with your place.

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea i know. iv seen his work and (to) me it looks ok.. but if not then ill bring it down to you and have a week down there T:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts