VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is a job I personally won't be doing again,even though Iv worked as a painter for over 25 years(oh my god)
It took me 2 full days just to do the bumpers awfull job.
That's without doing the mouth ,which can not be done properly so don't bother it's impossible to totally smooth and if not looks like a bodge job.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went to see a paint/bodyshop guy recommended by a couple of local van owners, he was happy to chat about the processes involved and said that he'd done quite a few with no complaints. He convinced me that he knew what he was doing anyway.

He quoted me £500+VAT to colour-code both bumpers, including painting/fitting a new splitter and rear spoiler at the same time (I'd be supplying those). It'd take him 3 or 4 days.

Sounds about right, from the comments on here. I just need to save up and arrange it now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just wondered if anyone had ever tried vinyl wrapping the front or rear bumpers and how they had turned out ?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I did my own with advise gained on the forum. Never painted anything in my life. Went with the high build primer option rather than sanding them smooth. 2 years on and not a single issue and that's with a collision with a wheely bin, didn't even chip the paint.

All that said if I could get someone to do it for £300 I'd do it.

Regards to vinyl wrapping you still need to paint them first to get a smooth finish for the vinyl to stick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree I don't mind spraying anything myself as I have all the gear but I have to say the commercial bumper is by far the worst item on a van to get smooth and spray it has took me two days so far third day today and that will be fitting today
I could not get every bit to go smooth but this is only color coding to match the color of the van as it will be having a full respray soon but could not stand the textured ones any more lol
Will put a pic up later on here

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Interesting post. I too have free access to decent spray equipment and work with a wood finishing expert but am yet to spray anything properly myself, but am keen to give it a try to for the satisfaction of doing it as well as the money saved if I can do a decent enough job. It seems like if I follow correct instruction and take my time to do it right I should get there.

I'm guessing I could start to sand down the bumpers while on the vehicle and it's definitely best to remove them?

Has anyone a link to a full set of instructions detailing everything involved at different stages and how long each stage should take?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hello all, can anyone recommend nearish to southampton who could do this for me please?
Blitz bodyshop in Fareham or Gt paintworks in Brokenhurst,also there are several in the Bournemouth direction.
Several post on this forum from other members about these bodyshops in the past,and where happy with result-try google followed by VW T5 forum
I have used Blitz for some paintwork in past and been happy with the result.
However when i had colour coded bumpers i brought the smooth caravelle bumpers and had them sprayed

·
Registered
410 Posts
Blitz bodyshop in Fareham or Gt paintworks in Brokenhurst,also there are several in the Bournemouth direction.
Several post on this forum from other members about these bodyshops in the past,and where happy with result-try google followed by VW T5 forum
I have used Blitz for some paintwork in past and been happy with the result.
However when i had colour coded bumpers i brought the smooth caravelle bumpers and had them sprayed
I have also used Blitz and I am very unhappy, both with the work and with the customer service. Everyone can have bad days when they make mistakes, but it is how you deal with it that counts. Very unimpressed with Blitz.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Should I colour code?

Hi All

Had a full conversion done last year on a 10 plate, Olympian Blue van. FAB.
Its in the body shop now to sort out a couple of dents(!!!***)
Guy has offered to colour code(£450) at the same time....something I may have done later but....wait for it!... I quite like the dark grey bumpers.
I Know colour coded they look smart but I see so many with scratches and marks that from a practical reason it puts me off.
Also living in the middle of a city and parking on the road will it become more desirable and disappear?!!! At the moment its kinda disguised!!

HELP!

Cheers for any thoughts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All, Thanks for all the advise. So if i do the following what kind of results can i get?

Remove bumpers
Sand with 80 Grit to rough bumpers
Clean with a reliable degreaser / panel wipe
Plastic Primer coat
3 x coats of high build 2k primer
Wet / Dry 800 until baby bum smooth
3 / 4 coats base coat
3 / 4 coats 2k clear coat

I am planning to use rattle cans?

Thanks guys

21 - 40 of 40 Posts