VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know where to get paintable mirror outer covers? apparently you can't paint the standard covers or the normal black door handles on the t5 so i am told by the bodyshop. I dont see why not with the proper paint but i'm no expert at spray painting:*

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
the parts are available from vw. some times the cost of a new part and selling the old outweighs the cost of product and labour. but t5 handles are smooth and the mirrors have a very smooth texture.
If prepared properly and appropriate plastic primer is used you wont have a problem. its all about degreasing on old black plastics.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
They are talking rubbish, prob just being lazy can't be d to strip the door handles out as that's the hardest part, painting them is easy as are the mirror coversT:

·
Registered
410 Posts
did mine myself took them off flatted them with fine sandpaper good coat of primer then metalic then laquered job done

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Any one know where to get paintable mirror outer covers? apparently you can't paint the standard covers or the normal black door handles on the t5 so i am told by the bodyshop. I dont see why not with the proper paint but i'm no expert at spray painting:*
Agree with the above comments.

Garage did my T5 front & rear bumpers, mirrors, door handles and number plate cover that were in situ . . . .

Me thinks a few 'porky pies' being told.

·
Registered
101 Posts
did mine myself took them off flatted them with fine sandpaper good coat of primer then metalic then laquered job done
What primer and grade sandpaper did you use might do my mirrors 1st to give it a go, also need to do some bad chips on sliding door right on the edge, as i brought it from listers but the fuel flap not lined up correctly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I painted my mirror covers i used 1200 wet and dry and some hot soapy water this is the most important part spend time on this make sure they are well clean, then dry thoroughly apply a coat of plastic primer then your colour and finally laquer if you have metallic paint, take your time doing each stage and best of luck, show pics when done, :ILU:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts