VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of VW Passat alloys that I've had put on my 2001 2.5tdi T4, with the original tyres off my steels transferred onto them. The same bolts have been used to fit them as those that held the steels on.

Are these bolts ok?

The tyres are obviously suitably load rated, but the alloys are from a Passat estate - are they actually up to the job?

All advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would imagine that coming from a Passat, the wheels will not be load rated as suitable for a T4 due to the extra weight but someone will be along soon to either confirm this or prove me wrong.

You could always ask VW.

The main issue for me personally would be with the insurance.

You might fit the wheels and then never have a problem.

On the other hand you may hit a pothole one day which cracks a wheel, causing a blowout and maybe you have a crash.

Even if you have a load rated wheel, theoretically it could still crack when hitting a pothole and cause you to crash.

If the police or insurance company decide to investigate further, testing your vehicle and find that you have wheels that are not load rated for your vehicle then they could refuse to pay out claiming that the wheels contributed to the accident.

Many people use VW and Audi wheels, to name a few, that are not load rated and have never had a problem but knowing my luck, I would have a problem so I personally won't risk it.

Good Luck.T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Eh?

Your passat estate alloys will be load rated to around 690 per corner.. x4 thats loads..

They are 15's right? and you have van rated tyres on them?

Bolt holes are radius same as van.

Dont see a problem mate :ILU:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought some people might find this interesting, though I'm sure many are bored stiff of threads about cheapskates like me and their alloys!

I asked a VW dealer about the aforementioned Passat alloys going on my T4 - they said they didn't see a problem if I wasn't carrying a capacity load in the van, which I explained I'm not, just a max of 4 passengers. So I took this info and referred it to my insurer, asking for them to not only note the alloys on the policy, but also specifically that they were from a passat and to confirm the underwriters and their motor engineer are ok with this. I got confirmation today that that was all fine and noted on the policy.

Sorry if this is a bit zzzz for most people, but I also know that this is an area of concern for some people, so thought I'd mention it - I'm glad I referred it to them, gives me peace of mind!

My god I feel middle aged.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey your only asking a question dude. You will always have the write to do so mate.
T:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, you know, you see people asking v similar questions regularly, but I guess everyone has been there at some point. I'll have to build myself up to that rat van with the Ronal rims!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I wouldn't worry mate.
If people are bored with questions they don't have to answer them.
Ask away.
There is the search facility which can help but sometimes it's a lot easier just to ask T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought some people might find this interesting, though I'm sure many are bored stiff of threads about cheapskates like me and their alloys!

I asked a VW dealer about the aforementioned Passat alloys going on my T4 - they said they didn't see a problem if I wasn't carrying a capacity load in the van, which I explained I'm not, just a max of 4 passengers. So I took this info and referred it to my insurer, asking for them to not only note the alloys on the policy, but also specifically that they were from a passat and to confirm the underwriters and their motor engineer are ok with this. I got confirmation today that that was all fine and noted on the policy.

Sorry if this is a bit zzzz for most people, but I also know that this is an area of concern for some people, so thought I'd mention it - I'm glad I referred it to them, gives me peace of mind!

My god I feel middle aged.
lol i been looking at this as well & i was thinking the same 25 years ago it would have not been an issue !! lol god I feel middle aged !

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep was fine as long as I used the right bolts.

Forgot this thread was here lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts