VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Condensation on inside of the roof

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  gojira 
#1 ·
Morning guys.
First time van owner here and had my van about two weeks.
Yesterday I stripped all the internal roof lining out the back of my t4, this morning I've jumped in the van and just had a quick look at the roof to notice it covered front to back in condensation.
Is this normal? Is it possible I could have a water leak that could cause condensation?
I am wanting to insulate the van but don't want to insulate if it's just going to trap water and cause corrosion etc.
any advice would be great, cheers

#2 ·
very normal for vans, also used to be very normal for the roof to get rusty as a result, not an expert but I think play lining/ insulating should stop most of it. Simple physics and stopping the warm air inside hitting the cold metal roof should stop condensation on the metal surface if it is covered in some way I'm guessing I:

#4 ·
Thanks for replying guys, my plan for the van is to turn it in to a surf van so I'm wanting insulation, carpets, bed etc.
I didn't want to insulate and carpet if the condensation was going to cause problems.
I'm new to the van world so only ever experienced condensation on windows before.
The sides of the van looked dry this morning so was just wondering if it could of been a water leak from the old roof bars I just took off last week and then only removing the roof liner yesterday today is the first time I've noticed the condensation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.