VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....My van is always steamed up or condensation or something...have to wipe the screen every morning with a T-towel...I know this is a feature of all older vehicles but there is surely a way to cure this or atleast reduce it....Is it that the van is not properly insulated ....although the rear is carpeted and I BELIEVE insulated?
I do have a door rubber hanging off on my drivers door so I know that wont help...but it just seems hard to keep the windows clear. Im not really sure what else to say
Any advice will be very much appreciated
Thank you
Daniel

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Shaving gel. wipe it on with a clean cloth then wipe it off with a damp cloth, then polish. Shaving Gel, not foam. T:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
How on earth do you discover that shaving gel stops your screen from misting up?
I'd have just used rain-x. Rain repellent on the outside, and anti fog on the inside. Works in race cars, and boy do they fog up! Also with the rain repellent you barely need your wiper!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
How on earth do you discover that shaving gel stops your screen from misting up?
I'd have just used rain-x. Rain repellent on the outside, and anti fog on the inside. Works in race cars, and boy do they fog up! Also with the rain repellent you barely need your wiper!
I put it on the mirrors in the bathroom. It stops them misting up from hot steam or condensation when i'm having a shave. We also use wash and wax on the shower glass and all the windows in side and out side. Keeps them clean for about 3 months. A:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Shaving gel. wipe it on with a clean cloth then wipe it off with a damp cloth, then polish. Shaving Gel, not foam. T:
My neighbours, with their maserati on one side and their BMW M3 on the other think I'm one sandwich short of a picnic owning an 'R' reg T4 anyway...

If they see me applying shaving gel to the inside of the windscreen they'll be phoning the local nuthouse for the men in white coats to attend, sharpish!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Check that the air coming in is fresh and not recycled. On my last t4 there was a switch under the heater control dials for fresh/recirc air. T:

I use shave gel too. Top tip T:

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi sounds like you have a leak some where if it steams up that much i used fairy wipe liquad it on the screen this will stop it hope this helps

I agree. you need to dry the van out and cure your leak.

When you use a towel to dry the window dont leave it in the van to dry or it will steam you up again.

I had an old nissan that got wet carpets once and that used to steam up the window really bad.

Use a dry towel from the house everyday and dont leave the wet towel in the van, allso driving with the heaters on full and the windows open will help dry out any moisture in the mats and seats etc.

And try to find out where the water is getting in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agreed, getting rid of the moisture inside the van is what you need to do. Can try using moisture trap crystals, you'll be amazed at how much water they suck out of the air.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was told kitty litter dries up condensation :*

Or bags of silica crystals which can be dried out and used again

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Also a jar with salt in!

I am about to put a coffee jar with salt in in to my van, Im a outdoor instructor and currently my van is a drying room but tbh I went to sainsburys this morning and was expecting condensation inside. I had left my window open slightly by accident and that had made it cold in there but kept it dry. Shut the window run the engine to get it warm and all is right with the van.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all....I have to appologise I forgot that I had even started this thread I:
Read all posts and I think Its more likely to be that I have a leak....and I know my drivers side door seal is knackered and hanging off in places so I doubt thats going to help after reading through your replies....and I have noticed it gets a little wet spot on the floor on the drivers side....how do I find a leak then please ?
Thank you to you all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts