VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking to buy myself a T6 sometime soon so doing lots of research on everything camper related and I've found some mixed information on leisure battery split charging installation.

I've found quite a few people on threads across various forums and sites stating that the regular voltage sensitive relays cannot be used on a T6 for split charging due to them having a 'smart' altenator so a battery to battery charger is needed instead.
On the flip side of this, I've then seen other websites stating that this is only true for Bluemotion T5/T6's.

Can anyone clear this up and give me a definitive answer?

Cheers! T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking to buy myself a T6 sometime soon so doing lots of research on everything camper related and I've found some mixed information on leisure battery split charging installation.

I've found quite a few people on threads across various forums and sites stating that the regular voltage sensitive relays cannot be used on a T6 for split charging due to them having a 'smart' altenator so a battery to battery charger is needed instead.
On the flip side of this, I've then seen other websites stating that this is only true for Bluemotion T5/T6's.

Can anyone clear this up and give me a definitive answer?

Cheers! T:
Well, just get a Battery to Battery Charger that is compatible with Smart Alternators and you will a) have a bettery quality charge for your leisure battery and b) will work with anything you buy so less to worry about :)

The early T6s may have been either smart or dumb but I have a feeling the latest ones are all smart alternatoer fitment?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts