VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am looking at buying some new wheels and tyres for my 2002 Panel Van which I am converting. I have to say I am completely confused at the options relating to size and loading, then there's the offset etc. I am looking at something like the 17" WOLFRACE GB LUGANO ALLOY WHEELS from rimstyle but I then get confused about tyres, do the tyres need a J rating on them or can you put the standard tyres that there website offers on to them?? I expect that this has been asked more than once and I have tried to search but I just can't get my head around it.

I have seen that some people are running with "normal" tyres but I don't know enough about the risk of this once the van is loaded with the pop top and the kids.

Cheers
Andy:confused::confused::confused:

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) This 'could' be a can of worms, Many people have an opinion and many also do their own thing with no problems.

Try having a search under 'load rating' and pull up a chair and have a coffee and a good read.

FWIW. Your van has a plate (normally on the front slam panel) showing front and rear axle weight, GVW and train weight.

To the letter of the law your wheels AND tyres must be rated to half of the MAX axle weight. (VW also add an imbalance accross the axle of 50kg, so you 'could' factor another 25kg onto the half figure I: )

Now before I'm shot down in flames I will say that lots of people will say you don't need to have a rating that high and they use a rating of 'x' with no problems, VW have a safety factor built in etc etc etc...

If you are stopped and the authorities (Police/VOSA/accident investigator/whoever) check your tyres against the plate weight and they are not high enough, you 'Could' face the penalty for defective/unsuitable tyres (or whatever the official term is)

I believe this could be up to £2500 and 3 points, per tyre :(

Again, lots of people run wheels and tyres below the plate weight without incident.

hope this helps, although I think it may not ;)

Chris

As an example, my 2.5 88ajt has the plate weight as follows, 2510kg (GVW), 4500kg (train weight, GVW + Trailer and load) 1. 1360kg (front axle) and 2. 1330kg (rear axle)

So the 'Legal' minimum for my van is 1360/2 = 680kg (or VW would say 705kg for load imbalance accross the axle)

Legally the Wheels and tyres 'should' have a Load Index of 95 (this being the closest to the required 680kg axle figure without being below it)

My alloys are rated at 690kg and the tyres are 101 (825kg)

As a package I am happy with my choice AND in the eyes of the law, 'Legal' HTH

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Great info Fatboy, and easy to follow - should be a sticky me thinks :)
I am all for thatT: Clear cut out for most people able to use a calculator & read english to understand T:
& FATBOY; U shall not be shot down for this postA: Infact a MOD should slap U with a free membership:D
Despite many of us having tried to explain the above I now HOPE this could be made "mandatory read" prior to posting on this forum`s subsection ;)
Big T:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Haven't got my guns out here, just seeking for a clarification of knowledge...

To my knowledge and research
as per the law, [construction and use] only tyres must be load rated sufficiently to the max axle weights. You can be pulled for this, but it is not checked on MOT test.

Wheel loads comes in type approval regulations, for which manufacturers must adhere to allow the vehicles to be sold. If we all stuck to these principles then no wheels outside of those fitted by manufacturers from the factory or as an option would be legal. At the moment (March 2013;)), it is legal to put aftermarket wheels on our cars and vans and make modifications outside of these type approval regulations.

The issue with wheel load ratings comes with insurance and civil claims. You may find that an insurance company wont allow you to put wheels on with insufficient load ratings, or if they do allow it or ask no questions, when it comes the crunch (sic) they may decide to invalidate your insurance and hence any claim.

If you wanted to place lower load rated wheels on your van then a process of downrating the max axle loads will allow this without falling foul of the insurance. You will then leave yourself open to the prospect of being pulled and having the weight of the van checked, being over weight would be an offence.

Please point me in the right direction anyone (letter of the law) if they can correct me on this, I would be pleased to see I am wrong.

Get your guns out at me if you like but just wishing to state what I understand of the law. I understand some may read this and assume then it's ok, personally, I would allways strive for best practice, rather than just letter of the law.:ILU:

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) No arguments here,

Obviously you have issue with the wheels AND tyres part, common sense to me BUT then I sometimes have a skewed view, no worries, I can't quote the regs, just what can be checked at the roadside and in an after incident report where if the load rating of the wheel is LESS than the axle requires then it would be deemed unsuitable and a possible 'out' for the insurance paying out.

Chris

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Please consider this as a comment from the side line as I neither in UK nor do I have full knowledge of how certfication is being carried out upon registration of (new) imported vehicles in the UK.
I have been in the Motor trade (import/export) for some time & I have many a time needed to produce a COC (Certificate of Conformity) For german motors after 1997/98 this has been included as a code in the cars Title. On earlier vehicles I needed to purchase the COC in order to have it re-registered abroad. The COC is the manufacturers type approval. It will include information such as tyre & rim size. Deviations of such have, in Germany, to be accomodated with either an type approval for the replaced part (like a rim,spoiler,light etc) OR they have to be accepted by an Engineer from the TüV. If using the TüV approval, it shall be entered into the vehicles title.
My point is that deviations from the COC CAN be made legal. Modifications must at least not weaken the designed purpose. If fi an underrated tyre-combo is desired, it will be noted in the paperwork that follows the vehicle.
An example is given in another posting here.
These rules have for the last years been tightened up dramatically in Germany. Many will argue that this is made in order to protect the car manufacturers interest. Also making aftermarked parts WITH equivalent approval way more expensive than before.
Not comlying to this & design deviations being detected during a road side check could in the worst case lead to a drivers licens being rewoked. Harsh one might think, but there is often a reason for this.
I for a fact also know that in other european countries the "environmental police" have been targeting the cas scene. Either it being pollution in form of noise or fumes. :* I mention this as an example of the many legal approaches others face

Without stepping on someones toes, I have found the UK MOT-test to be fairly easy compared to other countries vehicle tests.
I also understand that UK MOT is tightening up on several issues, CAT`s have been widely discussed on this forum:)
I can assure U all that many do glare towards the UK with a sore eye in the car world, thinking that U guys have an "easy life, anything goes"I: I can`t say I share that belief.
When I do preach about load rating & other safety related issues I do it with the best intend, despite my lacking indepth knowledge of the UK Legal side.
However I do know that I wish for others to make a safe, informed choice & hopefully save someone from being caught up in a bitter insurance or legal struggle due to an unappropriate modification that later may be deemed unroadworthyT:
I will not outline the utter consequenses this may have, itis for each & one to figure out ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
so if my math are correct
front is 1480 kg
rear is 1490 kg
chassis says 2800kg assume thats total laden weight
and 4500kg assume that`s total towing weight
total =2970 kg +10% for safety =3297 divided by 4
so a load rating of 101
does this seem right running 104 at the moment but need new tyres soon so looking at 101 as they are cheaper
had the van on a weigh bridge and it come in at 2218 kg fully laden apart from beer and awning so that give me approx 600kg to play with ?

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
so if my math are correct
front is 1480 kg
rear is 1490 kg
chassis says 2800kg assume thats total laden weight
and 4500kg assume that`s total towing weight
total =2970 kg +10% for safety =3297 divided by 4
so a load rating of 101
does this seem right running 104 at the moment but need new tyres soon so looking at 101 as they are cheaper
had the van on a weigh bridge and it come in at 2218 kg fully laden apart from beer and awning so that give me approx 600kg to play with ?
yep, the maths seems good.

1490 / 2 = 745kg + 25 (for VW ;) ) = 770kg, nearest load rating 99

Allowing for your safety factor of 10% (74.5kg) = 819.5kg, nearest load rating 101 T:

I:Your safety 10% and VW's 25kg =847kg, nearest load rating 102 :( (but chances are your van would be overloaded and on the bump stops LOL: )

It really is a can of worms (if you want it to be :D )

Chris

·
Registered
724 Posts
:) No arguments here,

Obviously you have issue with the wheels AND tyres part, common sense to me BUT then I sometimes have a skewed view, no worries, I can't quote the regs, just what can be checked at the roadside and in an after incident report where if the load rating of the wheel is LESS than the axle requires then it would be deemed unsuitable and a possible 'out' for the insurance paying out.

Chris
Spot onT:T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts