VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at th handbook , recently , regarding load ratings , on wheels , and tyres , and it seems a minefield ..!! Tyres , mainly . It seems the wheel rim rating needs to be a minimum , realistically , of about 750 kg . However , the tyre rating seems to go up , the wider , and lower aspect you choose , incrementally .. The tech section on the forum does not seem to reflect the oem figures , in tyre suitability , with figures of 97 being minimum , but on calculating , with oem data , the minimum aspect ratio is in the 55 region , and that is the minimum ratio it seems you can get a suitable (legal) load-rated tyre ... at 101 -102 ..!! Max , it seems , is 225 that is avail at that rating ..!! Otherwise , its car tyres , that are probably not legal , or safe ..!! Am I right , or wrong , in my thinking ??

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I,m just curious , thats all .. I have no wish to change my OEM steels , but the figures just dont seem to add up , when you look at the data ...!!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not best clear as have generally stuck with std tyres. When I had probs getting new Michelins' a few years back, Mich only do limited batch runs seemingly for the size required. I asked about car tyres and was told they are an absolute no-no. wrong load ratings etc Yes they work but if you get pulled by a vehicle check you could well cop it, same goes for accident investigation apparently.

Seems to be one of those areas where you must comply but info on how to is not the best.

What is your "97 minimum" load rating, aspect ratio. . . ?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With many posts about ... will this fit/ what tyres , etc . on the forum , I read the VW handbook , on specs , and compared that to info on the forum Tech. info , regarding the various combo,s , etc . The VW handbook states a tyre load rating of 97s reinforced , for 195/70/r15 , (standard steels) ... The max width tyre is 215/65/r15 , (standard) , which requires a load rating of 102 H reinforced ... That suggests a formula for tyre rating , compared to width , and aspect ratio ... in this application . Many are running wheel/tyre combos wider , and lower than this , which would suggest a far higher load rating , but the tech. section on this subject , on the forum suggests a MINIMUM load rating of 97 ...!! Add to that , reinforced tyres are only available up to a limited aspect ratio , (55/60, I think) , so any combo other than that would appear to be a very grey area , on safety ..!! Also , Alloys ... need to be minimum 750kg rated , according to handbook , yet many run with 650-ish ..!! VW standard wheels are around 850kg rated ...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks for that. Yes certainly grey area, I would guess that figures are derived for fully loaded vehicle which is easy to do. Just fill a Caravelle with a set of 8 standard build adults and you don't have much left for payload. If its that easy to get to the limit then I for one would not be cutting corners on the weight loading aspects of rims and tyre walls.

Certainly could do with some better clarification it seems.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
The plated axle weight on the slam panel in the bonnet lists the maximum weight (vehicle + payload) of each axle. Half this and you'll get the maximum weight allowed at each corner. This'll give you the minimum load rating for tyre and wheel for a fully loaded van. T:

There are some running car rated wheels. But these may be in vans carrying little extra weight. Also, the load ratings are relative to speed. So, and I'm not 100% about this, if you're not traveling at the rated speed, the tyre might manage to carry more weight. Maybe. :confused:

The other thing to consider. Is that all tyres of the same size are not equal. 195 70 15 for example can be found in load ratings from 92 to 104.

Hope I've made some sense.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah .. The info in handbooks , and vehicle plates indicates the only van that can (legally) run light is the 800 basic vehicle .. Beyond that , yr looking at 750 rated wheels , and re-inforced tyres , ... tyres wider than 215/225 dont come load-rated , and are considered for cars , not vans ..!! I know they look cool , etc . But are they legal?? LWB vans are especially vulnerable , it seems ...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trolling around , there are some very informative threads on the T5 section , and it seems to be taken far more sieriously , with the consequenses of failure , insurance , etc. etc . Tyres are advertised as being ...car , or van , so , if th worst thing occured , what is th legal situation going to be when plod , insurance , start inspecting ..?? You become personally liable ...

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
Just to add another dimension, what if it is neither a car nor a van (ie Motorcaravan)

If not used for commecial purposes, I 'Believe', if the load index of the wheels and tyres meet or exceed the plated weight of the vehicle they are fitted to (max axle weight on the plate) then they are legal. (car or otherwise)

I am running alloys (in the summer, when I can replace the worn tyres LOL: ) rated at 690kg and 101 tyres, both suitable for the plated weight of my van, the tyres are not 'C' rated, the tax class is 'LGV' and its registered as a 'Motorcaravan' on the V5 LOL:

I would contest any supposed infringement of the regulations as they stand if required to do so :)

For me, if you meet the plated weight requirements you are 'legal'

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah .. The info in handbooks , and vehicle plates indicates the only van that can (legally) run light is the 800 basic vehicle .. Beyond that , yr looking at 750 rated wheels , and re-inforced tyres , ... tyres wider than 215/225 dont come load-rated , and are considered for cars , not vans ..!! I know they look cool , etc . But are they legal?? LWB vans are especially vulnerable , it seems ...

So my 255/60/15 general grabbers are not load rated:*
High enough. :*

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
For me, if you meet the plated weight requirements you are 'legal'
I feel this is the exact point. If your tyres meet the plated weight of the vehicle. And if you're pulled by VOSA they don't find you over this weight. :)
You'd be allowed on your way without penalty. T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my 255/60/15 general grabbers are not load rated:*
High enough. :*
It seems to be the aspect ratio which is the limiting factor on load-rating .. don,t feel Grabbers come into the category that I,m posting about , as already mentioned .. If yr running an aspect ratio lower than 45 , no matter what , I feel safety issues are invoked .. even if you re-plate , tyres still need to be of a safe rating for stresses ... !!

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
If yr running an aspect ratio lower than 45 , no matter what , I feel safety issues are invoked .. even if you re-plate , tyres still need to be of a safe rating for stresses ... !!
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this fella. IMO If a tyre's rated for a weight, it'll work with lateral as well as direct forces. You see Range Rovers careering about on low profile tyres. And they've got to be heavier than a T4.

I don't run low profile tyres so not trying to save face here. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers , bud .. I,m just asking a question .. ! My tyre guy refuses to fit anything to my wheels that dont comply ..!! What would the story be if we were asessors for an insurance claim , and wheels/ tyres were NOT within manufacturers specs ...??

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
I think if you'd told your insurance company what you'd done and you weren't over loading the tyre/wheel. I wouldn't see a problem.

funnily enough when I told my insurance company about my banded steels. (Originally off a Vito and with 105/107 load rated rubber.) But they didn't ask about load rating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts