VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if it would be possible to connect a Waeco Crx50 fridge to something like this:

And if it is possible then how would I do it? My plan was to buy a generator like this, charge it at home and take it with us on weekends to power the fridge.

Thanks

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,404 Posts
Well it's not a generator at all is it, it's just a battery & inverter in one box with a few different voltage outputs. The blurb says there's 2 x 12v 15a outputs but no sign of then in the pictures just a lighter plug socket.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,096 Posts
It certainly doesn't meet any definition of "generator" that I've ever seen. As said, it's just a battery pack, but as the Waeco will run from 12V, the whole of the inverter part of the product is unnecessary for that specific use.

I really like the way that they specify the capacity in thousands of milliAmp Hours! Looks really impressive...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just buy your own battery at a much cheaper price. Like above, you don’t need an inverter. That battery will only run your fridge for about 30 hours. Buy yourself a 100ah lifepo4 battery which will run that fridge for nearly four days. Mine uses 20ah per day and you can use 80% of the capacity of a lithium.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The so-called generator you mention won’t run the fridge long, 8-9 hours 10 at stretch, it’s a very good price, but you get what you pay for, just looking at the amazon pics it’s got 32 lithium cells at worst case they are 3.7v 2,000mA = 16Ah, best case 3,000mA = 24Ah, at this price point the inverter will not be a true sine wave and the inverter would use will reduce runtime, never run a portable fridge from an inverter, as the fridge has to use its own inverter to power it as it’s actually 12v.

But if 8-9 hours is what you want OK, it’s a very useful powerbank.

As to a 100Ah LiPo battery it’s £ 900 depending on brand, for the price on Amazon for the so-called generator you could get a high quality 200Ah truck battery ie Bosch T5 weighes 50+kg, treat it well don’t flatten it, it will last years, don’t dismiss a simple solution

·
Registered
278 Posts
As others have said, there are far better solutions

I get 3 days from a 110ah leisure battery in my van fitted with a CRX-50 - the same battery also powers lights, water pump, tv & Wallas xc duo (link here to see how Problem With Our Waeco Fridge.)

My solution for longer trips without EHU is a Clarke IG 950 generator - it's pure sign wave 240/12v output and cost me £180 delivered

I should point out that generators can be noisy and therefore anti social (mine gets used at Classic motorcycle events, so not an issue)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just buy your own battery at a much cheaper price. Like above, you don’t need an inverter. That battery will only run your fridge for about 30 hours. Buy yourself a 100ah lifepo4 battery which will run that fridge for nearly four days. Mine uses 20ah per day and you can use 80% of the capacity of a lithium.
Thanks I appreciate your advice, however I don't have the money/ability to set up a battery using a split charge. I simply want a battery that I can charge at home and then take with us on a weekend, 30 hours will be great for what I need. Do you know how I could plug the Waeco fridge into the battery that I linked?

Thnks

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Thanks I appreciate your advice, however I don't have the money/ability to set up a battery using a split charge. I simply want a battery that I can charge at home and then take with us on a weekend, 30 hours will be great for what I need. Do you know how I could plug the Waeco fridge into the battery that I linked?

Thnks
There is a 12v cig style socket on the side, go back and look at the Amazon link, but it won’t run the CRX 50 for 30 hours, average consumption is 40W/h depending on temp setting and ambient, the battery is 372Wh, 372/40 = 9.3 hours.

More or less will depend on temp setting and ambient and assumes it’s already cool, if going from 25C to 2-4C run time will be a lot shorter.

Does your van have a smart alternator, if not a cheap smart split charge relay and a sealed lead acid battery could be a better solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thnks
IT has a cig socket so plug in to that. My calculation of 30 hours was way out. Andywt said 8 to 9 which is closer.
Here in Oz we can but a 100ah lithium battery for $500 which is probably less than 300euros.
Are they not available in UK at that price?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Lookin on Amazon going price for 100Ah LiPo is about £ 500, only way cheaper is via AliExpress but you have to accept the risk of dubious quality battery, or build from components with the added cost of charging the battery which is not simple as a direct split charge, as a lithium will take a huge charge from the alternator and van battery needing a large BtB cable, you need a BtB (battery to battery) charger to limit the current adding more cost.

I don’t think Chicken Bagel is endowed with a lot of cash.

With a sealed lead acid and smart split charge relay the cost is reasonable if the battery is near the front, if the battery is at the back the cable is the biggest cost.

Yes lithium would be nice but not everyone needs or can afford the cost, I have 180Ah Bosch T5 it’s a truck battery designed for abuse with 200w solar, works for me, when that fails I’ll go lithium 200Ah, but that’s 5+ years away and the cost will have reduced or newer tech and the cost or solar will be less or more efficient. Hopefully buy then lithium batteries will work at low temps in winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts