VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, for the second time in a year, I started my van after a few days camping to find the battery dead.

I want to prevent this from happening again - it's too easy to get stranded. I've done a bit of research and found this:

http://www.noflatbatteries.com/shop.html

Has anyone tried these? Any stories to tell, positive or negative?

·
Registered
485 Posts
If its only a few days since you last started it I'd be looking for the source of the problem?
I know a couple of the guys on the t2 forum had something similar somehow they shut off lowvcurrent drain but are still able to be started on demand. They were handy for longer layups so you dont need to disconnect the battery manually.
youd likely be retuning your stereo a lot if you use one.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to fit a leisure battery and stop using the van battery while camping???

·
Registered
97 Posts
i'm with Upspex, if you're using the engine start battery to run the domestics you're on a slippery road to problems. i would definitely fit a 'domestic' battery and also swop all my light bulbs for led's.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
this is of cause this is what you mean that you are finding your battery flat after camping.

if you are saying that when you come to your van to start it (having not used it for a while) you are finding the battery dead then I would be looking at what the drain is and fix the problem.

your post is not the clearest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me be more clear.

The battery got drained by a phone being left in the 12v socket while we were off walking / camping for a week.

I do intend to fit a leisure battery in due course, but even after that my understanding is I can still flatten the battery by leaving an internal light on or whatever, right?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Let me be more clear.

The battery got drained by a phone being left in the 12v socket while we were off walking / camping for a week.

I do intend to fit a leisure battery in due course, but even after that my understanding is I can still flatten the battery by leaving an internal light on or whatever, right?
Of course, if you leave lights etc on then the battery will be drained but you'll be draining your leisure battery and not the vehicle starter battery.:)

·
Special Rapporteur
9,903 Posts
Normally a bit of extra insurance wouldn't harm, but those things ain't cheap - roughly the same cost as two replacement batteries (provided you don't buy your batteries at a main dealer)!

Personally I'd go with one of the cheap "pay and reclaim" roadside assistance services at a fraction of the cost. Ok, it will be less convenient to have to wait for someone to turn up, but that may give you/yours the incentive not to plug things into your battery and then forget about them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts