VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure whether this is suspension related or not...

I have got a constant knocking/tapping that sounds as if its coming from underneath the drivers seat.

I have replaced track rod ends, bottom ball joints, anti roll bar links, anti roll bar bushes and suspension dampers on both sides only recently, these werent replaced because of the noise im getting now, just because the others were old and worn out.

This evening i have checked that everything is done up tight and it is, i also replaced the rubber that the torsion bar sits on nearest the nut where you lower the front and the noise is still there...

I dont know where else to check and it only happens when i am going across uneven ground or when the suspension depresses when going over dips in the road.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine mounts?

Also check the exhaust is secure. I had it once where I'd get a clonking noise and it has moved forward and was slapping against the heat shield.
Possibly, the rear pendulum mount at the rear of the gearbox had perished loads and was causing the engine to swing quite alot, but ive replaced that rubber.

I have checked the exhaust and its really secure, but so much so it doesnt have any play in it as i bolted it to the chassis as it kept coming off the hangers, thats been like that for a while now and it was fine when i first done it.

However, the heat shield around the downpipe looks as if its been knocking on the anti roll bar, i put a big of rubber around the anti roll bar to see if it made any difference and it didnt, its still there...

Its worth mentioning that ive replaced both driveshafts recently as well, but they have a bit of up and down movement, not sure if thats normal for driveshafts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts