VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am new to posting so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or someone has asked this elsewhere.

I have a T5 camper with a poorly Waeco cr-0050 fridge. It works and cools to 2 degrees when hooked up to the mains but hit 24 degrees today (I want to chill my food not cook it!) when on leisure battery (the light in the fridge was on but the compressor was not kicking in). The red fault light in the fridge is flashing 3 times. The battery is two years old and I haven't tested the voltage but am suspecting this is the problem.

My questions are:

1) Is the red light flashing enough of an indicator to confirm the battery is on its way out without testing the voltage, I am a bit short on time for messing around, we go away on Wed for 6 nights and there is no mains hook-up.
2) If the battery does need replacing any recommendations for the best place to buy a good leisure battery (quickly and relatively cheaply!).
3) Could someone explain the control panel setting to me r.e. the lhs switch and what should be switched when, just incase I am doing something wrong. I currently leave the rocker switch in the central position when not using the fridge, I leave it in the central position when charging the battery from the mains (the big red light is on the charger so this is switched on). I move the rocker switch to leisure battery when I want to use the fridge from battery and leave in the central position when I want to use the fridge from mains. Is this correct?
4) Can I run the fridge from the vehicle battery by switching the control panel switch to the 'vehicle battery' setting as we are away for 6 nights and can only recharge every couple of days. Or is this too draining on the car battery?
5) Should driving the camper recharge the leisure battery? I have a Amperor leisure battery charger.
6) Has my persistent draining of the battery reduced it's life, I think I know the answer to this one :-(

Sorry so many questions but would be really interested in anyone's advise on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Hi Clare, it is difficult to give definitive answers without knowing more about your van. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with your control panel. I must warn you not to attempt to power the fridge from the engine battery as this will result in you not being able to start the van. Your leisure battery should charge from the engine and from your mains system. It could be that one or both of your charging systems has failed/fused and the battery has not been charged properly. In which case then your suspicions of a knackered battery are confirmed. What system do you have in your van? Is it a purpose built camper or a conversion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I will def not try and run the fridge on the vehicle battery then. I will check the fuse box in a mo, something I hadn't considered, but as the compressor very occasionally kicks in when on leisure battery (although not very often given the fridge was 20 odd degrees yesterday) I am thinking it is prob not a fuse and that is a kind of all or nothing deal.

I fully charged the battery from the mains overnight and things seem to have improved a bit. I switched to leisure battery an hour ago and the red light has stopped flashing at the moment, the compressor is on some of the time and the temp has dropped to 12 degrees from 15 (I switched the fridge off overnight whilst charging the battery).

I have a van converted by VW Interiors (who did a fab job) and have had the van for two and a half years with no problems at all, so I there should be no problem with the electrical set up.

In the meantime I am going to order a battery so that I have one for tomorrow when we go away.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I suspect that your split charge system is not up to the job. Your battery should have lasted longer than 2 years. You need to make sure that your split charge system is working correctly before fitting a new battery otherwise you will trash the new one in no time at all and it won't be covered under warranty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts