VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have just bought an 08 plate T5 T30 LWB. Its already got side windows fitted to both sides and in the rear barn doors. I work away and will be needing to sleep in this for 4 days at time, in winter and in summer. I think I am going to fit a propex heater etc but before I start I need to get the insulation right!! I have trawled these forums and asked many people and still dont know what to do.

Can any one tell me what the best insulation would be? I have seen superquilt material from screwfix which looks good but I would like other opinions. Also would you insulate the floor before putting down the ply lining and if so with what?

Does anybody know where I can get the carpet for the walls etc online? or what its called and who sells it. Are these cheap ply lining kits off ebay anygood?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as winter is fast approaching..

Many Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hi guys. I have just bought an 08 plate T5 T30 LWB. Its already got side windows fitted to both sides and in the rear barn doors. I work away and will be needing to sleep in this for 4 days at time, in winter and in summer. I think I am going to fit a propex heater etc but before I start I need to get the insulation right!! I have trawled these forums and asked many people and still dont know what to do.

Can any one tell me what the best insulation would be? I have seen superquilt material from screwfix which looks good but I would like other opinions. Also would you insulate the floor before putting down the ply lining and if so with what?

Does anybody know where I can get the carpet for the walls etc online? or what its called and who sells it. Are these cheap ply lining kits off ebay anygood?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as winter is fast approaching..

Many Thanks.:)
Hello mate, welcome along.

If you're going to fit a propex, make sure you get the wiring in place first.

Insulation, theres loads, for me I used reflective bubble wrap and 25 mm celotex panels on the roof, and sheepswool on the sides. For the floor I installed my batons then laid a double thickness of the foil backed under floor heating insulation you can buy from homebase, then stuck my ply base down.

Lining carpets, use Mark at Megavanmats. Think he's supplied the carpet to just about everybody on here, not sure about the ply panels pre-cut on ebay, if you're planning to fix your conversion onto the sides of the van for more strength, make your own from 6mm ply.

Hope this helps mate

Russ

·
Registered
124 Posts
I followed what advise I could find on thies forum, and used the fibre wool insulation made from re-cycled plastic bottles.
It is similar to the normal loft insulation, but is nice and fluffy and it does not irritate you skin or lungs with nasty bits of glass.

Compared to the loft stuff it is about 3 or 4 times the price, but worth it. I got it from B&Q.

Make sure you dont ram it into the cavities, I found I had to half the standard thickness so as to avoid compressing it.

It is strange to cut, a knife or saw won't touch it even when I clamped it in a B&D workmate, but you can tear it like bread by hand quite easily:confused:
P

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys.

Russ, when you say you 'installed your battons', are you saying you put battons down and then your floor on top?? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question, im new to this. If that is right then whats the reason behind it? To allow room for floor insulation? What thickness battons and lay length ways or width ways?

Cash flow is a slight issue right now and was going to insulate, ply line and carpet first and think about the heater after.....is it essential to fit heater/wiring before all that?

Is there any where i can find a standard DIY manual on converting? Best split charge systems? lighting? etc etc??

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.T:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used this stuff:

http://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/touch-n-foam---200-complete-kit-pr-5203.php

It's a bit more expensive but it is, a fire retardant, closed cell spray on foam. It will attach itself to the inside of the van and doesn’t leave any gaps so you won’t have to worry about condensation. The kit comes in two tanks and mix together as they come out of the nozzle. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I saw a conversion manual in Halfords the other day, it looked quite good, if a bit pricy (Haynes I think).
Failling that, you should be able to get any questions answered on this forum, a search should bring up most of the answers, although as you now know, you will probably get three different answers:confused:
P

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wiring for everything was one of the first things I did.

Really good idea to get the wiring in along with the insulation and paneling, pain to try and do it after.
Is there any reason I shouldn't keep the wiring in the bottom/rear of my units and do it after I have my units in? The reason I didn't want to run them behind my ply lining is incase I want to get to any of it afterwards. I would prefer to run it somewhere neaty that I can get to and maintain after all the furniture is in ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts